Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Glowing chimney

Seb

Glowing chimney

Comments are welcome.

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Re: Glowing chimney

I think the bottom with the trees distracts me from the great looking top of the chimney. I would fill the frame with the VALLEY letters. Looks a bit dark as well.

Looks like a gloomy day Seb which has not given the chimney the glow. It seems flat and the skyless sky does'nt help matters. So, being so gloomy, I wonder if B/W and a curves lift might give it a little more life.
    Tom.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

I see the lighted areas of the chimney giving it its title. Hmmm, hard to say why, but it is just not very impactful or interesting. I do not have a problem with the gloomy sky, as Tom brought up. I feel like the composition is ok here. . .I can't pin it down, but it's just ok, i guess. Sorry for the big help here.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Seb

Thanks for commenting guys.

Honnestly, this is more of a leftover that I decided to work on than something I really care about. I will agree that the sky hurts here. I darkened it on purpose but there were no details to retrieve. On the other hand, I felt that the trees line at the bottom was interesting due to its shape.

regards

Seb

This is an interesting shot. I think it might benefit from having the chimney straightened (horizon line be damned). I also think that you might try a bit of dodge on the "glowing" parts to make them stand out more.
    Marty in Central Illinois - The Land of Corn and Flatness!

Thread Information