Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Gabriell is a Femme Fatale (Image Attached)

Another from my shoot with Gabe from a couple weeks ago. Also from The Presidio, taken outside at the Lucasfilm complex. We brought a makeup artist along with us and we were having fun coming up with interesting looks.
    Shot on Tri-X, with my 50mm f.2. I forget the rest, but it was pretty bright out.
    The point of the shot was to get it to look like a still from an old detective movie. And also to use the interesting shadows and setting to make it look like she is indoors (in some gumshoe's office) rather than out. Did we succeed? I'm pretty happy with this shot but I'd love to hear some other opinions on it. Thanks for looking!

Peer through the scope with an amoral code...
    -Naked Raygun

*Arctirus helps old ladies INTO traffic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmadcow/

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Gabriell is a Femme Fatale (Image Attached)

My first impression was that it was shot outside, so I think there is some room to improve the "indoors" look.

Other than that, I love the style of the shot. I love this kind of photography and wish we saw some more of it up here. Portraiture sure, but this vein of portraiture really appeals to me. Thanks for posting it.

My nitpicks are:
    Her eyes look squinty.
    Her forehead looks severly broken out. I can't tell if its a play of light or what, but I find it a bit distracting, especially coupled with her eyes being shut.

That's it. I love the style here. Keep it up!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

TTT
    Help.

Looks pretty good to me!!
    First impression was that she was in an office, behind some blinds.

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Film Noir? Definitely!!! Great use of existing light. I think her outfit and make up certainly speak 40's! (Didn't I just leave a comment that said she looked Victorian?) Well that's the blessing of a classically featured model, they're timeless! Well conceived and captured. The only wish I might have had is that she were doing something more interesting with her hands and arms. Something that conveys a little more attitude of the Femme Fatale like one hand on hip the other up and leaning against something like a door frame. (I know, I know, if wishes and buts were candy and nuts...) More nice work.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

I like this...and I think if you did something about whatever's next to her at the bottom, it looks indoorsy to me. I do agree about her eyes...I wish she weren't squinting, but I'm thinking you guys were still trying for the look here...and I agree with CLK that maybe a better way would be to have her pose slightly differently to achieve that. The outfit and makeup are perfect...and her lines are so nice...her jawline and shoulders are great.

Emily

P.S. Could she HAVE a tinier waist??!?? Geezy peasy...I'm so jealous...hehe.

I like it!

I like the outfit, the pose, and her expression.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

All I can do is echo the minor nitpicks of squinty eyes and that the pose could be improved by doing something with the hands or a seductive lean against something. The model cannot be improved on! The outfit is smashing! The lighting is great! Bravo!
    Marty in Central Illinois - The Land of Corn and Flatness!

I LOVE HER OUTFIT!!!... but I too, agree, her eyes are too squinty. She looks like she has very pretty eyes. I'd like to be able to see them a bit more.

Conceived well and executed well, as well. I think your title in combination with the appearance of the image is what compelled me to comment - fitting and nice.

I especially like the drama of the shadows, on and behind.

Tuna

Tanks for all the kind words! This was a spur-of-the-moment shot done without any kind of planning, but the critiques so far pretty much mirror my own. This was the first time the model and I tried to stage a shot rather than just doing candids.
    Thanks for taking the time to look! This was the third occasion that I've shot with Gabe and I'll most likely post some more shots in the future.
    Jason
    Peer through the scope with an amoral code...
    -Naked Raygun

*Arctirus helps old ladies INTO traffic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmadcow/

GB1

Different alright .... very retro (like the othe shot). I like her pose and the angle you shot her at, but I think that she is hunching just a tad... I prefer a model to stand up straighter to portray both physical and mental strength (just my personal tastes..). I agree with Marty that she really should have done something with her hands - it looks a litte posed as is. The B&W was a smart choice.

Again, nice work
    GB

Thread Information