Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Ft. Custer National Cemetary

I made a quick trip to Ft Custer Nat'l Cemetary in Battle Creek yesterday, which I've been meaning to do for some time. I plan on going back when the leaves come out, but in the meantime I'd like your opinion on a couple of shots. It was my first real attempt at getting some of these, and I'd like to know if you've got any suggestions on other angles or perspectives.

This is the black and white version of the above shot.

Re: Ft. Custer National Cemetary

I like #1 really well, your DOF is great while you have a good angle on the subject. A+ on one.

2 B&W not to good here for me.

#3 is out of focus I think. I don't like the angle as much.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson L. Sparks
    I like #1 really well, your DOF is great while you have a good angle on the subject. A+ on one.

2 B&W not to good here for me.

#3 is out of focus I think. I don't like the angle as much.
    Thanks Tyson...I just checked the original file, and sharpened it, but apparantly I had the flower arrangement as the focal point. I have to change that next trip.

GB1

# 1 is very powerful IMO. The size of the stone in the shot is dominant but the ones in the back are still evident enough to give the picture scale, and I really like the triangle they form. I also find your selection of DOF 'pur-fect' -- couldn't be any better. The only thing that could be improved in the shot is if the text were more easily readable, and perhaps if the sky was a little more saturated.

Good work, need I say.....

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    # 1 is very powerful IMO. The size of the stone in the shot is dominant but the ones in the back are still evident enough to give the picture scale, and I really like the triangle they form. I also find your selection of DOF 'pur-fect' -- couldn't be any better. The only thing that could be improved in the shot is if the text were more easily readable, and perhaps if the sky was a little more saturated.

Good work, need I say.....

GB
    Thanks, GB. I was taken by the triangle effect myself when I cropped it. As for the sky, it was a race against time, as the bright blue sky was intermittantly fouled by clouds and shadows. The jet stream was really pushing those puffy whites, and I just missed with this shot. Another day will bring better skies, and I'm looking forward to it.
    John

Thread Information