Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

The forgotten coffee

Not sure if the background adds to the context of this or a tighter crop would help.
    I was helping repair a truck in this yard today when I noticed this abandoned coffee cup, it was one of three that I noticed but the only one
    with coffee and a fly. I tried to reposition the fly but it sank..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The forgotten coffee-coffee.jpg  
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Re: The forgotten coffee

Do you have an image shot down lower, more across the top of the cup? (Does that make sense?)

I like the colors, and exposure. I think the use of the chosen aperture works as well - with the blurred background. It made me wonder and look around - I like that. The fly is not enough of a "fly" - shape is not distinctive enough - and the cup is a strange one for a construction / towing crew. I feel this image must have a title to make sense - and that may be its shortfall.

GB1

Pete - This works in its own way, but not sure it works quite enough. I can see where the fly might add to such a shot, but in this one I want a little simplicity too, and the background offers enough distraction already w/o the fly in the coffee . I do like the background, but wish it was w/o a different foreground subject, like a model, or an empty whiskey bottle if you don't have one handy (where are the models when you need them?).

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for the feed back everyone, a little of the story behind this one. This is taken in the yard of a chap that operates a small fleet ( 4 I think ) of logging trucks that are kept mobile through scavenging and recycling parts from various donor vehicles gathered in this yard. With this shot I was trying to capture the essence of the character of the place. The cup was abandoned on a rusting oil tank as shown and with it's dead fly I though a typical part of the place. Having said that the chap must be doing something right as he's been in business for many years like this...
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Quote Originally Posted by hminx View Post
    Having said that the chap must be doing something right as he's been in business for many years like this...
    I have to wonder though what else has he lost besides his coffee? Nice shot!

Thread Information