Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Forgotten

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

The Forgotten

The wife was going to throw these away today, but I thought I would play with them first to see what I could come up with.

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Forgotten-img_1165.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: The Forgotten

need water...I think you did well here to capture something being discarded and creating something visually interesting. The aperture didnt really pull everything in at f13 ..as much as i would have expected...did you try a larger aperture at all to isolate? Good work.
    Please ask to edit photos and I'll do the same! :thumbsup:
    Thx, Rod
    http://krimingerphotography.printroom.com

Looks good to me, I have nothing to add. Good color.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Thanks for the comments Rod. This is the only f/ stop I shot with this composition. While playing with this, I was also using extension tubes to get closer. I was switching back and forth a lot, so I don't know for sure if I had a tube on for this image or not. That could explain why it didn't pull everything into focus.

Thanks for commenting Tyson.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Very dramatic shot. The shallow DOF doesn't bother me... I find it makes the red roses stand out. However, I think your White Balance is off. The whole image has a yellowish look to it, like it was shot under Tungsten. Less yellow would make this shot a real winner. That's only my opinion. Hope this helps. Well done.

Thanks for the feedback Freedom. Yup, I could use a bit of a white balance tweak to this image. The main light source is actually a fluorescent light box for viewing slide. There was also an incandescent room light on the ceiling.

Here is a version with the WB tweak, along with a version that I did a selective color on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Forgotten-img_1165_v2.jpg   The Forgotten-img_1165_v3.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Much better WB. I like the selective color shot as well. Nice job.

WARNING Takes Random Pictures MonkeyWrench's Avatar

I agree, I think the selective color shot is the winner.

MB1

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    ....Here is a version with the WB tweak, along with a version that I did a selective color on.
    Nice composition-from now on we can tell our wives when we forget to water that we are looking for photo opps!

BTW I like the corrected WB image the best and don't care for the selective color at all (I am generally good with color or B&W but both in one image just doesn't do it for me).
    No, I DON'T need that.

Thanks for the feedback MB.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I love the black and white with the red still in the flowers. Thats the one that talks to me the most. I like them all though.
    Army
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"-
    Benjiman Franklin

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Thanks for taking the time to comment Army! Much appriciated.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information