Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: food coloring

food coloring

i was messing around with food coloring in water the other day, and thought it would make a neat photo. tell me what you like, and what you dont. personally i would like to see a better background but im not sure. tell me what you think

thanks guys

Brian O' Canon

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Re: food coloring

LOL Im more interested in what posessed you to "mess around with food coloring" however, I LOVE the colors in the last shot but the background takes away to me instead of disappearing.

GB1

Not bad.. the colorings are neat IMO. You could really create some neat effects with this stuff. Unfortunately, the background doesn't match up to the liquids - gotta work on that aspect, though I'm not sure how to do so.. a dark background would make the liquid too dark.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I think it would have been more effective without a flash. The glare off the glass bothers me a bit. Other than that, just crop out most of the empty background. Nice job.
    "The force of art lies in its immediate influence on human psychology and in its active contagiousness."

-Naum Gabo

yeah, finding a suitable background for this kind of shot is more work then anything...the white is boring but anything else takes away.

and the flash really did help bring out the colors, the ones without flash were kind of dull.
    Brian O' Canon

What about merely removing the color from the background? Maybe darkening it slightly. Think it would help?
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Brian001
    yeah, finding a suitable background for this kind of shot is more work then anything...the white is boring but anything else takes away.

and the flash really did help bring out the colors, the ones without flash were kind of dull.
    Brian - Better yet, use a dark background, no flash, but pinpoint, snout-like illumination. I've seen that done before and it seems to work out very, very nice !!!

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Neptune, New Jersey, United States of America

I'm not real crazy about the shadow of the glass - maybe try moving the glass further from the background. I would also like to see a bit more definition in the glass. The first shot is the best for the glass but the hotspot is distracting. Have you tried these lit from below? If you have soft underlighting it might make an interesting shot of maybe a set the blass on something dark with a hole the size of the glass bottom, shine a bright light from below.

My first thought was also a dark background and a seperate light, from behind below or above.... I think you could get some very cool effects by it.... You have a cool concept here, I think it just needs tweeked a little bit to really make it stand out more......
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Thread Information