Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Fly

Fly

Still having some issues with DOF and the ever changing focus of macro subjects/shot composure, getting the eyes and thorax into acceptable focus is proving to be difficult. I don't know if these work successfully, maybe more practice....I have tried using triods and such, I can never seem to position the rigged camera/equip in time to get anything into the viewfinder, as a result I almost always wind up shooting handheld...

Re: Fly

Awesome! I can see the hair on the fly's......... well you know. What kind of equipment are you using? I think you're doing a great job of photographing a skittish fly.
    My kids think I have one big round eye and a light on my head!

Quote Originally Posted by mamajan
    Awesome! I can see the hair on the fly's......... well you know. What kind of equipment are you using? I think you're doing a great job of photographing a skittish fly.
    haha, thanks mamajan, SONY A-100 with a 90mm Tamron macro lens. I'm thinking of getting a monopod to help with shots like this...

Just Lurking

nps474, you post some amazing macro shots. The colors are incredible. I too would like a little more DOF, but I'm with mamajan, I don't know how you manage to get shots like this of a fly moving all over the place. Most of the time I try to capture a bug I end up with more plant than bug.

What's the secret?

PC

Quote Originally Posted by PrevailingConditions
    nps474, you post some amazing macro shots. The colors are incredible. I too would like a little more DOF, but I'm with mamajan, I don't know how you manage to get shots like this of a fly moving all over the place. Most of the time I try to capture a bug I end up with more plant than bug.

What's the secret?

PC
    Jeez thanks for such high praise, you know i think its all practice (hopefully my stuff will keep gradually improving) I used to shoot twice as many rolls to get a few pics I liked, I think I'm just getting better at sneaking up on these little guys, you do start to learn little insect habits and stuff (like which ones are likely to return to the same spot ect) but the other little secret i'm learning is to more judicious with the deletion images on the built in screen, over time it's getting easier to see the "keepers" and even easierr to see the ones I need to hit erase on.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Thread Information