Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flowers in Black & White

All right...this is something a little different as far as flowers go...I was out on a walk today and took some pics of some teeny flowers. I converted it to b&w, and then boosted the shadows to get the black background.
    I'm really unsure with this one though...lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flowers in Black & White-flowers2.jpg  

Re: Flowers in Black & White

Quote Originally Posted by julsoph
    All right...this is something a little different as far as flowers go...I was out on a walk today and took some pics of some teeny flowers. I converted it to b&w, and then boosted the shadows to get the black background.
    I really like this, however I would go with a bolder tighter horizontal crop. just my personal take on it. I think the contrast is great, and the image is intriguing.

I like it too.. I think it goes well with your can and water drops on the chair shots. They'll make a great series of mostly black photos IMO. Also, I agree with the crop idea. There seems to be a little too much white space, though I can't figure what a good crop would be.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Seb

The effect is really neat! It looks like these flowers comes out from nowhere. I like the textures too. I would tend to agree with Rebekah's crop suggestion although I think that it already works like it is.

Seb

Thanks Rebekah, Liban & Seb...I really appreciate your feedback on this! Rebekah, I was wondering if someone might suggest a tighter crop...and I was trying to decide how it would look. I'll definitely experiment a bit with it.
    Thanks again!
    Emily

Emily,

This looks intriguing and I really like it - looks sort of alien beast with multiple heads.

My only critique is that there are a few stray pixels in the photo that I find distracting just around the outside of the flowers. Also on three of the petals there are black pixels that don't quite fit in.

Composition is excellent and I like the use of negative space.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Emily,

I like this a lot. I think the framing/cropping is perfect. It has a very "artsy" look, which I like. If I wasn't used to seeing your digital shots, I would think this was done with film. It has a grainy look not typical of my expectations for digital.

Very nice!

Paul

Very nice, Emily. The contrast is well done and I love how the flowers seem to come out of nowhere. My first thing was to agree with the cropping, but now that I have looked at it a little longer I am no longer so sure about that. I like the way it is with the negative space it has. Very interesting how much of a grainy, film look the image has.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Thanks Roger, Paul & Srobb! Roger...I tried to clean this up a bit in photoshop, the little pixelation you're talking about...there was actually a few other spots before I did that, but I'll go back and take a looksee again.
    I'm really glad to hear back the opinions re: the cropping on this. If I do play with it a bit, I'll repost and see what you guys think.

Thanks again!
    Emily

A bold horizontal crop with negative black space to the right of the flowers is what I was thinking.... :0)

I really like this a LOT. Great idea

Agree with the horiz crop, but i would not make it so tight. I always play with my crops a lot - tweaking here and there - to get it just so. IMHO, you could even leave the cropping where it is and get away with it. The black space is great.

Thank you, Stew! I appreciate again the ideas on the cropping.

Emily

Alrighty...I played with villenadecorte's ideas for cropping, and here are two different crops that I liked:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flowers in Black & White-flowersb-wversion1.jpg   Flowers in Black & White-flowersb-w2version2.jpg  

Alrighty...I played with villenadecorte's ideas for cropping, and here are two different crops that I liked:
    #2 #2 #2.... did i mention i like #2? So subtle from #1, but it works!
    Love it!

The crops look great! Nice work, and a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by villenadecorte
    #2 #2 #2.... did i mention i like #2? So subtle from #1, but it works!
    Love it!
    Thanks! And thanks for the suggestion as well!

And payn, thank you too!

Emily

Emily,

I'm going to go against the majority here and think that the new crops are boring and make the flowers look like an after thought.

I find the square crop - the original much more interesting and concentrates the attention on the flowers not on the negative space. I personally would apply the same softer processing to the square crop and also get rid of the black spots which are still on the new versions.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I like the second crop. Excellent balance.
    ----------------------------

I can't decide!! How's that for the coward's way out? Seriously, I think all three carry an incredible amount of impact. You wild woman!! Great great concept.
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Thanks D, Chunk & Roger for your thoughts and feedback! I really appreciate it.

Emily

I like the original version best now that I see the crops. The square format and the slightly off-center subject is really great - puts them at center-stage in an interesting way. The first crop is the second best - they still have some breathing room. The second crop feels way too cramped for me. You're loosing the intent of your photo.

Either way - you know I think it's great work! Keep it up.
    Stewart Williams Photography

www.StewartWilliams.net

Thanks for your thoughts on the cropping, Stew! I appreciate it. Honestly, I'm keeping both crops...hehe, version 1 and version 2. I'm allowed to do that, right?

Emily

of course!

version 1
    version 2

he he
    Stewart Williams Photography

www.StewartWilliams.net

Hi Emily,
    I like this. I like your other B&W flower series too. You are certainly developing a pleasing style in your work.
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool
    Hi Emily,
    I like this. I like your other B&W flower series too. You are certainly developing a pleasing style in your work.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Thanks Tim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information