Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

First time doing this

I showed this picture to a friend of mine who is a great photographer and he really liked it, so I thought I'd see what kind of feedback I could get on this from others.

Critique away! I need all the help I can get!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First time doing this-p1000623-2-.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 07-23-2006 at 11:52 AM. Reason: UNSticking As Featured Photo For 17 July 2006

Re: First time doing this

i like the warm summer feeling it gives me, my only nits are the blown out sky ( not to bad for this type of photo- at least to me) and the brown dirt patch on the left, instead of continuous grass. all in all a very good photo that gives me that warm feeling inside, which is hard to do.

good job.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

I like the color and texture of scene. I'm no sure about the composition. The tree and chair probably need a different angle to hold their own. The top of the chair gets lost in the shadow. As mentioned the sky is blown out on the right with some flare. The location has lots of potential. A lot of time can be spent here to get many nice shots before the sun went down.

Welcome to PR...I hope you post more shots.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Shooting into the sun and getting a correct exposure is very trickey, but you have done a wonderful job. As for the blown out sky, the stop range of the lights and darks in the this subject are simply too far out of the range of any digital processor or film process. There are two ways to fix this. The first is with a graduated nuetral density filter attached to the front of your lens, or uing a tripod take two images, expose one correctly for the field and expose the second for the sky and and using photoshop merging the two images together. The second is harder unless you have a "plug in" program to do this.

I like the sugject of the image. The empty chair makes the picture

Wow, thank you for all the comments. I'm still new at this, so some of the terms escape me. How could the angle of the chair and tree change to make it better?

how about something along these lines...close up of the chair, but i'm not sure about the tree - maybe it's too much and kind of takes over the whole scene?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First time doing this-photo.jpg  

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Hello!

Welcome to the PR boards, I suspect that Manasca is referring to your angle in relation to the scene and that a variation would help that. I don't necessarily agree though. I like the long shadows and think that a crop would help to resolve this images draw backs, i.e. the patchy grass and muddy places, with it's considerable pluses meaning the long shadows, the warmth of the light and the general mood of a chair and a tree watching the summer go by together. If it were mine I would crop it so that the shadow of the tree splits the angle of the left bottom corner of the frame. Very nice first submission!

*Edit* Just saw your second posting and would have to say that the tree is dominating the scene; in this instance I would have tried a different perspective, but that's just personal preference, I wasn't there.

Regards,
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

i agree with CLKunst, the last photo would be much stronger if the tree was not there, and the chair was moved toward the center alittle bit. i like the tighter composition much better that the first one though.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Hi! Thank you! Is this what you meant by splitting the angle at the bottom left corner? I immediately noticed a difference after cropping it.

Yeah, right after I posted the second photo with the tree taking up the middle of the shot, I realized it wasn't what I was hoping for. Thanks!:thumbsup:
    Quote Originally Posted by CLKunst
    Hello!

Welcome to the PR boards, I suspect that Manasca is referring to your angle in relation to the scene and that a variation would help that. I don't necessarily agree though. I like the long shadows and think that a crop would help to resolve this images draw backs, i.e. the patchy grass and muddy places, with it's considerable pluses meaning the long shadows, the warmth of the light and the general mood of a chair and a tree watching the summer go by together. If it were mine I would crop it so that the shadow of the tree splits the angle of the left bottom corner of the frame. Very nice first submission!

*Edit* Just saw your second posting and would have to say that the tree is dominating the scene; in this instance I would have tried a different perspective, but that's just personal preference, I wasn't there.

Regards,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First time doing this-wide-view-enhanced-2-.jpg  

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I like this photograph, it makes me want to be sitting on that chair with a tall cool drink in my hand...
    I like how you composed it with the tree and the chair and how they cast a long shadow that causes your eye to go off the frame, but then the other lines in the frame casue my eye to to jump right back to enjoy the rest of the photograph.
    Welcome to PR.com!
    I look forward to seeing more from you.
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thank you Brian! That's amazing how you see so much in the lines of the photograph. I like your MTB photos! Very impressive Keep up the good work!

Thread Information