Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

first time B&W digital

It's my favorite picture i've shot so far, i would like to ear C&C about it, to make sure i did it right.

GB1

Re: first time B&W digital

She's cute here.

I think you have a lot of neat things in the scene, but that they don't necessarily work that well together. Her dress and bags seem compatible but I am confused as to what she is doing and why? Is she just waiting there for someone? Seems like an off the beaten path location too. The No Parking sign is a distraction, as are the pole(s) and fence. Alas, the black and white makes it interesting ..

Welcome btw.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Did you shoot it b/w or donvert it?
    I rather like all the elements but they aren't telling me the story.
    Part of her dress and the bag on the counter seem blown out to me. You may be able to recover some if you shot raw format.
    Her face is the highlight with the sucker in her mouth and I like the way her foot is turned.
    Unfortunately her face is very soft and seems out of focus. Also the bouquet she is holding going get lost going across the pole like that. If she could have been separated a bit with the bouquet, I think the image would be more powerful.
    The really important part is that YOU like it. I have many that I like but don't impress others.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks for the comments, it's going to be useful info in the future. She didn't pose for that one, she was just standing there waiting for everyone else. As i got there i took the picture(it was shot normal colors, then converted. also, the camera only save jpeg.) and i was glad she was just looking normal.Usually when she pose, cause she's a 9 years old, she tend to over do her pose and it looks artificial. As for the blown out, it was a very sunny day and i had a hard time with all my shots. But i keep telling myself every shot i take is experience and it will go better and better as i keep shooting!

I agree with the comments from the others, but I don't think that all is lost. It seems to me that if you were to crop this from the bottom of the "no parking" sign and the edge of the bouquet, you'd probably have something worth saving. The curved path would still be very prominent, the the poles in the background would be less distracting. If you're just starting out, don't be discouraged, you seem to have a pretty good idea about composition, you just need to polish your skills through more practice

One thing that no one else pointed out is the merger. Is she wearing flowers on her head? This could be what is causing the merger were the flowers appear to be coming out of the top of her head.

thanks Jetrim, i think it's what you meant by croping more

Quote Originally Posted by eardrag2
    One thing that no one else pointed out is the merger. Is she wearing flowers on her head? This could be what is causing the merger were the flowers appear to be coming out of the top of her head.
    yes, she is wearing a flower crown

Yeah, I like this better because it removes most of the superfluous distractions.

I too like this better. To my eye the bag sitting on the wall was a big distraction to me. If only I can figure out how to critique myself like this when I am shooting. I seem to only be able to do it after I am at home looking at my shots. Good work.
    -Shawn
    www.tpsphotos.com

Canon EOS 6d w/Battery Grip
    Canon EOS 620
    Canon EOS Rebel G
    Canon EOS Rebel XS
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon EF 25-80mm f4-5.6 III
    Canon EF 70-210mm f4
    Canon 35-70 f3.5-4.5