Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

First Real Attempt at Portraiture

This is my first time really setting up an actual portrait shot, most of mine are natural shots. This one is also not edited at all yet because I wanted a honest critique of how I was TAKING the picture, not on how I edited it. Just so you know, she was my test subject while I was getting my lighting set up for a shoot that I am doing tomorrow. If I was actually shooting her, I would have done a vertical shot and included her elbow.....but OTHER then that...... Can anyone tell me their opinions on this picture???
    Oh, and by the way, she is kind of sick and that is why her eyes and cheeks are a little red. lol

Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Re: First Real Attempt at Portraiture

She's centered.... too centered....

her colors are I really good though (of course some wee bit of tweaking might be in order, but i like the colors, the background is not lit properly or the color should be changed, in matters of TAKING the picture, i don't know why this is the color of choice for the background... in any case, this is something i am sure, others will be helpful in pointing out in further details... all i can say is the model seems flat on the background, rather than seperate... (I will also be looking for the tips on that )

The fact that her elbow is not in the shot as you mentioned is bothersome, but that could also be solved by framing a little different no necessarily by going vertical, maybe getting a little closer or farther away....

Hope this help.. and good luck with your portraiture
    Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

I feel like that shooting in landscape instead of portrait has just left to much negative space on either side.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I would do a vertical crop instead of a horizontal(as you mentioned). I agree with Marcus on the background.

Thread Information