Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

First Railroad Shot---your thoughts?

Ok, ideally this set of tracks would be heading around a bend to add a sense of undetermined destination. The shot being what it is though, and it is my first attempt, any recommendations for future shots of this nature, other than finding some that go around a bend? I tried to avoid a straight down the middle shot, so I took a little off the left side. Any ideas?
    John

Photonerd

Re: First Railroad Shot---your thoughts?

i know exactly what you mean, it's hard to find anything new to do with these type of shots. i posted an example of one shot that I took a while ago during my trip to death valley, where I tried to do the "bend" idea. i dunno if it worked too well, plus it was a road and not train tracks, but I set the road a little off to the right so as to get a bit more of the background. not sure if this was effective, but it's an idea. Of course, I like B&W, especially for railroad tracks, you could try that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Railroad Shot---your thoughts?-bend.jpg  
    Feel free to edit/re-post my photos as you like

Nikon Samurai #28

I agree, B/W is the way to go with railroad tracks. I posted one a while back.
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Yep, a cliche...

Quote Originally Posted by swmdrayfan
    Any ideas?...
    I think many many photogs have been in your position. There's something about RR tracks heading off into the distance (or heading in from the distance) that's very compelling and almost begs to be photographed.

Yet, when we actually look at the image, it's immediately obvious that we've captured something that's been captured countless times before to the point of being a cliche and not really very interesting by itself.

So, self-discovery aside, the only thing I would suggest is to use this type of scene as sort of the "canvas" for another subject, a visual background if you will, for a smaller and more interesting subject that becomes the real focus of the shot.

For example, your shot as it is would instantly become stronger with, say a small jackrabbit or other animal near the tracks in the foreground, or perhaps a "man of leisure" with a lot of character sitting or doing something nearby, or maybe some kids playfully skipping quickly across the tracks (when no train is coming, of course).

Get what I mean?
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Yep, a cliche...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    I think many many photogs have been in your position. There's something about RR tracks heading off into the distance (or heading in from the distance) that's very compelling and almost begs to be photographed.

Yet, when we actually look at the image, it's immediately obvious that we've captured something that's been captured countless times before to the point of being a cliche and not really very interesting by itself.

So, self-discovery aside, the only thing I would suggest is to use this type of scene as sort of the "canvas" for another subject, a visual background if you will, for a smaller and more interesting subject that becomes the real focus of the shot.

For example, your shot as it is would instantly become stronger with, say a small jackrabbit or other animal near the tracks in the foreground, or perhaps a "man of leisure" with a lot of character sitting or doing something nearby, or maybe some kids playfully skipping quickly across the tracks (when no train is coming, of course).

Get what I mean?
    Exactly Steve. That's what I was looking for. Chow and echo, I like your input as well. I'm definately going to think about that.
    John

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Here's an idea for you John, what about a penny on the tracks? If you got down almost level to it so you get real sharp detail that it is a penny but just high enough that you could see the perspective. That might look neat. Even better an already flattened penny still on the tracks same perspective.
    I will be interested to see what you come up with regardless, just keep pushing that rock!:thumbsup:
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

I have always wanted to do a track that splits into two directions. I posted one simalar to yours a while back.

Thread Information