Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: First post

Cool First post

Hi, I'm new to photgraphy and this site. This is my kitten Crybaa in guard cat mode. Comments welcome. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar

And welcome to this

Site.There are many fine photographers here and if you are willing to learn this is the place.I like the look of this cat, a real imp i would say.Take lots of him especially at play.This is certainly a good one and i can see you got well down to his level to shoot it.Only distraction for me is the red thing, is that a toy mouse ? I love cats too and will be keeping an eye out for your posts.Thanks for sharing.
    Bobby

Hi Nikki,

First, let me welcome you to the forum! Second, what a cute cat! He looks rather young yet but I'm sure all his instincts are quite intact.

While this is a nice snapshot, I would suggest that you try to utilize any available indoor or outdoor light rather than use flash, which tends to make the eyes look really weird. Also, when composing a picture, try to sepearate the elements of the photo as best you can into thirds (this might not always be possible). You might want to take a look at Photo John's "First Post" to get an idea on how to follow the rule of thirds as his was a good example. Also, try to shoot your picture at different angles or tilt the camera a little rather than shooting your pet straight on, as that will add a bit of creativity to your photo.

I'm sure others here can offer you more and better suggestions, but these are just some that I thought of right off the top of my head as I viewed your picture. Keep at it and I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Ray
    Reseda, CA

Thank you both for the comments, much appreciated. I will defintely take note of all your advice and work on using your ideas. I'm very new to photography, but very interested to learn and improve. I have a good tutor and hopefully I will find some more here as well!

I love taking photos of my kitten, though it's hard to take a good photo as he never stays in the one spot for long enough! I hope with lots of practise I will learn how to get the timing right.

Thank you again,
    Nikki.

Thread Information