Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Sunrise at Marine Park Nature Preserve

This is a similar scene from this place that I had taken in February while there was snow on the ground. That pic that I had posted had been converted to B&W.
    This scene was taken last week at early sunrise. It may be a bit dark, but thats how it was as the sun had not quite come over the trees in the horizon.
    All comments appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunrise at Marine Park Nature Preserve-lndscp0504-1206xweb.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Awesome! I think the incredible variety of textures on land - with the trees then reaching into the sky - make this an excellent shot. Both the trail and the benches (my favorite part) lead the eyes even deeper into the photo. The darkness only gets to me because there is just enough hint of what great colors are hidden. Overall I'd say this goes above everything I want to see in a sunrise shot.

Seb
    Hello Gary,

One word, wow!

Technically it seems flawless to me but what amaze me here is your composition and the way you framed it. It seems simple at first glance and everything fall right into place but frankly, this is the kind of picture I'd like to achieve but end up screwing most of the time lol.

Nice work

Seb

Gary, before I reply, did you brighten up the shadows after your initial post?

i honestly like the picture its very very good, i think its to dark u have to realy look close to see details, i took your picture and made it B&W adusted the lighting, and made it sharper, i dont know i think it looks brighter i make is B&W to see if it would give it a different feeling and i think it dose tell me what you think, sorry if i affended you by changing your picture but i just wanted to see what you would say
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunrise at Marine Park Nature Preserve-lndscp0504-1206xweb.jpg  
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

Thanks Greg hxc and Seb for your positive feedback. Really happy you appreciate it as it is. As I said, I know the photo seems a bit dark but thats how it was and thats how I want it to be seen.
    YoungShooter, thanks for your input. I had shot this same scene in Feb. while there was snow on the ground and converted that one to B&W. I had posted it here a while back. This one however, I prefer in color. It does look nice as well in B&W, although I would do it differently than you have.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by Wings
    Gary, before I reply, did you brighten up the shadows after your initial post?
    Not quite sure what you mean . . .I had posted this first in the new gallery, after that post I posted it here. In this post, I cropped the image slightly as I felt I wanted the bench closer to the edge of the frame but I dont think I tweaked up the shadows any. But now that I look at the other uncropped version in the new gallery, I think I like it better and will leave it untouched. I may just ever so slightly make a curves adjustment or increase the gamma a bit before printing it out on the new Canoni9900 I am waiting for. :0

gary

Well Gary, the first time I saw your post, I considered the image too dark. I didn't have time to comment, but when I came back later the image was exactly the way I wanted it to be. It shows again, since you didn't change anything, that it's always good to have a 2nd view on a photograph.

Some interesting details; light on the benches that balances the nice dark sky and the path (and benches) leading the eye of the viewer.. Well done Gary!

Thanks Wings for your time . . .

gary

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    Gary,
    I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been said, but I like this a lot. You're doing great with the different seasons of the nature preserve. I really like how dramatic this shot looks. Good job.

They're both very good. Sort of a relaxing composition; puts my mind at ease when I look over the scene. I think I like the B&W better because of the wider range of tones it conveys, even so the color has a much more dramatic mood. Depends on what you're going for I suppose. Both have some very strong points.

I think you have a good connection with this place and should continue to explore all the nooks and crannies.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information