Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: First attempts

First attempts

Hi guys,
    Well, I have been limited to getting out and experimenting with my new hobby and new camera But here are a few I've taken. I haven't got resizing down yet, that's for sure.
    It sure is a miss mash of photos. But any comments are welcomed.

1 is a Galileo Thermometer
    2 and 3 are at a cemetary
    4 is just me playing with some sort of composition. I'd like to know how to blur out the background.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Lara

Your new camera captured vivid color in pic #1 [were does one find a Galileo Thermometer?]

I like the subtle changes of lighting in pic # 2 Lara, very peaceful.

I too am curious about editing background images in photos, hope someone can recommend a simple to use program for this as well.

Thanks for the comments Dan. I think you can find the Galileo Thermometer in any science oriented store. Google search will bring up a bunch of places where you can buy one.
    Lara

It's hurricane season... again...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    Hi guys,
    Well, I have been limited to getting out and experimenting with my new hobby and new camera But here are a few I've taken. I haven't got resizing down yet, that's for sure.

4 is just me playing with some sort of composition. I'd like to know how to blur out the background.

Very nice Lara! I like your sense of vision... I can see that you have a good eye for composition and color. The only thing that I might improve on in #3 is the placement of the flag pole so close to the edge of the frame. I still find it easier to step back a few feet and crop off what I don't want.

I think you're off to a great start... what kind of camera did you get?
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Thanks Kristin! You're very kind. I know there's a lot to learn and I'm trying

I have a Canon PowerShot S60.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lara

Hi Lara!

Glad to see some of your photos on here.

1. I like the compostion and the color tones. The only thing I can thing of is that you might move the small lamp in the foreground to the right, so it doesn't cut off the frame of the picture and lighten the picture a bit. You chose a very nice composition to start with! Very nice photo.

2. I like the perspective of this one, looking up towards the statue with the flags all around. The photo has great color and is very clear and sharp. Good one too!

3. My favorite, a very peaceful, serene spot in the cemetery. Place for reflecting and it does seem to invite reflection. The colors in this one are also very nice. The only thing I can think of is that there might be too much greenery in the picture, taking away from the small pond. Can you get another view?

4. I like the Gallileo thermometer! I saw a photo of one of these on another site, had never seen one before, you can find LOADS of them online. Aren't they cool? Anyway, to the picture... Very colorful photo too. I like the thermometers and the color, but I think there are too many colors in here at one time, unless you balanced it out with another item in the photo too. Too close. It is a great shot however. Well done.

Betty
    "When you aim for perfection you discover it is a moving target".

- George Fisher -

Liz

Smile Congrats! You snuck in on me!

Hey Lara!

I'm really psyched to see you on PR with your wonderful images. You did a good job, Lara. Nice camera - nice colors. My favorite is the cemetery. I love it! It's sharp, beautiful color - and full of meaning. I like the composition - flag, everything about it. Nice image. Great for a first!

The landscape is also very nice. Good color and composition. I can't quite remember the others. I wish I could see them while critiquing.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Please post some more. I enjoy your company! as much as your photos.

Liz
    Last edited by Liz; 07-07-2004 at 06:08 PM. Reason: misspelled word.....(is this another one?)

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Hey Lara!

I'm really psyched to see you on PR with your wonderful images. You did a good job, Lara. Nice camera - nice colors. My favorite is the cemetery. I love it! It's sharp, beautiful color - and full of meaning. I like the composition - flag, everything about it. Nice image. Great for a first!

The landscape is also very nice. Good color and composition. I can't quite remember the others. I wish I could see them while critiquing.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Please post some more. I enjoy your company! as much as your photos.

Liz
    Quick note, I always open another window when critiquing so I can flip back and forth to see the pictures. (I can forget that fast and that easily!!) It works like a charm.

betty

- George Fisher -

Quote Originally Posted by bjtindle
    Hi Lara!

Glad to see some of your photos on here.

1. I like the compostion and the color tones. The only thing I can thing of is that you might move the small lamp in the foreground to the right, so it doesn't cut off the frame of the picture and lighten the picture a bit. You chose a very nice composition to start with! Very nice photo.

2. I like the perspective of this one, looking up towards the statue with the flags all around. The photo has great color and is very clear and sharp. Good one too!

3. My favorite, a very peaceful, serene spot in the cemetery. Place for reflecting and it does seem to invite reflection. The colors in this one are also very nice. The only thing I can think of is that there might be too much greenery in the picture, taking away from the small pond. Can you get another view?

4. I like the Gallileo thermometer! I saw a photo of one of these on another site, had never seen one before, you can find LOADS of them online. Aren't they cool? Anyway, to the picture... Very colorful photo too. I like the thermometers and the color, but I think there are too many colors in here at one time, unless you balanced it out with another item in the photo too. Too close. It is a great shot however. Well done.

Betty
    Thanks Betty!

I appreciate each and every suggestion. I will most likely be back to the cemetery during the summer. If I can, I'll try the pond shot from another angle.

The thermometer was just an experiment. I was actually trying to zoom in even closer to make it an abstract. It's a tough subject because of the glass. Well tough for me anyway
    Lara

Thanks Betty!

I appreciate each and every suggestion. I will most likely be back to the cemetery during the summer. If I can, I'll try the pond shot from another angle.

The thermometer was just an experiment. I was actually trying to zoom in even closer to make it an abstract. It's a tough subject because of the glass. Well tough for me anyway
    Well it isn't just me then! LOL (Trying to zoom in that is. Seem to have the same luck)

Betty

- George Fisher -

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Hey Lara!

Liz
    Hiya Liz

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I enjoy the company of the PR family. A special group for sure.
    Lara

Damn, everyone took the words out of my mouth, somewhat...

You have a strong sense for composition. Every image you posted had some strengths and some weaknesses. You position elements in the frame very well. I particularly like the cemetery image with the headstones in the foreground, they suck you in and take you to the far-away subjects.

I wanted to post more detailed thoughts, but now it almost seems redundant. You're doing well, keep it up.

Oh, before I forget, for shallow depth of field, you will need to keep the lens wide open. Also, the wider you go, the deeper the depth of field, the longer the focal length, the shallower the depth of field. Also, the closer you focus, the shallower the depth of field, and the farther you focus, the deeper it is. You keeping up with all this nonsense? ;)
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Damn, everyone took the words out of my mouth, somewhat...

You have a strong sense for composition. Every image you posted had some strengths and some weaknesses. You position elements in the frame very well. I particularly like the cemetery image with the headstones in the foreground, they suck you in and take you to the far-away subjects.

I wanted to post more detailed thoughts, but now it almost seems redundant. You're doing well, keep it up.

Oh, before I forget, for shallow depth of field, you will need to keep the lens wide open. Also, the wider you go, the deeper the depth of field, the longer the focal length, the shallower the depth of field. Also, the closer you focus, the shallower the depth of field, and the farther you focus, the deeper it is. You keeping up with all this nonsense? ;)
    Thank you Sebastian. Much appreciated.

I am keeping up with your explanation of DOF (somewhat ;) ) I'm going to have to take your instruction and study it a little. I do understand what you are saying. Just need to put it to use by taking a bunch of photos and experimenting with it.

BTW on the original of the cemetery photo, the grave stones in the foreground to the left of the photo are crystal clear.

Thanks again!
    Lara

everything he said and she said and he said and she....

geesh that's what happens when you don't come on here for a few days.... I really think you did a good job on the Galileo therm. it really is a very colorful well comoposed shot...and the same for the second post of the cemetary with the flagpole to the side... we have some stiff competiiton coming from you I can see...I will really look forward to seeing the evolution of the Lara

good first shots--- and everything he said and she said and he sad and.... ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    geesh that's what happens when you don't come on here for a few days.... I really think you did a good job on the Galileo therm. it really is a very colorful well comoposed shot...and the same for the second post of the cemetary with the flagpole to the side... we have some stiff competiiton coming from you I can see...I will really look forward to seeing the evolution of the Lara

good first shots--- and everything he said and she said and he sad and.... ;)
    LOL Thanks Nat. I'll take that complement! If I can accomplish a smidge of what you do, I'll be happy.
    Lara

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Right On!

I like the flags one the most Lara.
    It has a lot going for it.
    You have the reptition from the flags and the headstones, not to mention all the color.
    Good Eye!
    Keep at it!
    Good to see y ou posting and shooting!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thanks Brian. I had a feeling you'd like the flags shot
    Lara

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I really think though...

Even though I am partial to such things, red white and blue.
    it is the strongest most interesting image of the ones you posted.
    Salute!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

tanks Bri
    Lara

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar

Hi Lara !

Hi guys,

Could i suggest for your own benefit that you post one image at a time.Then it is easier to take on board any advice you get.
    Easy to remember when you want to blur out the background and assuming you have an slr camera,( one that you can set the fstops on).Focus on your subject and make them sharp and set your f-stop to anything less than 5.6, say f4 or f2.8. This should do the trick for you
    This is a great site to learn, we have all made our mistakes and learned from them.What kind of camera have you ?
    Bobby

Hi Bobby

Of course you can suggest I post one image at a time! It makes sense.

My next critique post will most likely be one or two shots of the same subject. This was a bunch of stuff I've been holding out on posting. Not too secure in what I'm doing, but I finally decided to post them anyway.

My camera is a Canon Powershot S60 (DIGIC) and yep, I can change the F/stop. Thank you for the info.
    Lara

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Well, well, well, and btw...

Lara,

Not bad at all. I'd have to say all four of these shots are real good starting points. I only have time to glance at them a bit, but I'll post more comments soon...

BTW, I have to agree with Bobby about posting these individually, not because you attached four pics to one post, but more importantly because they are all very different. If you're posting a small series of similar shots, it's no problem, but yes, critiquing parts of four different style images in the same thread can get confusing.

BTW2, this may also be a bit of a trap you're falling into. The quickest way to learn to improve your shooting is to pick a single type of image and be very repetative. The quickest way to get very frustrated is to water yourself down by shooting a lot of different things, then trying to figure out how to improve all of them at once...

-Steve
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thanks for the guidance Steve. I agree that posting different types of images in one post can make it confusing. Bobby's point is well taken.

I ordered a few books from Amazon's sellers, rather than buy direct from them. ....a lot cheaper. I've had good success from buying books this way before, so I'm hoping to have the same luck with the ones I just ordered. Four basics of digital photography books, and 2 photoshop books. That should keep me busy for a while.
    Lara

Only the one with the flags has potential

Quote Originally Posted by modena
    Only the one with the flags has potential

I was wondering if you could expand more on your statement. Out of curiosity. Thanks.

Betty

- George Fisher -

Thread Information