Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Street colors

Seb

Street colors

From my current street series.

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:46 PM.

"Artisaliethatmakesusreali zetruth" PlantedTao's Avatar

Re: Street colors

I got mixed feelings on this one. I like, but something is making feel kinda boring?
    I think that a person(s) in a window or walking along the sidewalk would have added an element that is needed. I like the layout and the building is really cool, but I still "need" something else. May just be me.

I also thought that a closer shot taken right by the building may also work. kneeling and look up or down the sidewalk to still get as much window a possible, but giving it a more unique perspective.

From what I have seen tho, this does fit well into the series...I'm just not blown away with this photo. (do we always have to be pleased with each and every photo in a series??? does each photo need to stand alone, apart from the series???)

Cheers?
    I'm always mentally photographing everything as practice.
    Minor White

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I think it would benefit from different light - not on the building but to accentuate the trees and make them stand out more.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

GB1

Seb - I like it for what it is. The colors sort of draw me in.... Retro 1960 colors or something. Notice the slight tilt. The colors are a bit muted so I can see Tao's comment that it might lack visual impact. Perhaps the muted colors by themselves w/o the sidewalk would have worked better. The window area might make for decent background material also.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Seb

Tao: I see your point. Actually, I felt the same at the first place. I guess I wanted someone to validate my impression. I too think that it's kind of interesting and kind of boring at the same time. About your inquiries, I guess that a picture from a series don't have to work on its own as it's meant to work in a series by definition but then, a picture that doesn't works alone isn't all that good as I see it. Overall, I don't see "Street colors" as a success. Thanks for the feedback.

SmartWombat: Perhaps... I didn't meant to put emphasis on the trees but I agree that they look flat right now. Thanks for commenting.

GB: The street is in a slope so the sidewalk does tilt but the building itself isn't supposed to tilt. There is an hint of remaining barrel distortion which may be misleading. That wall would be a neat background for various situations/objects. Thanks for the suggestion!

Seb

Thread Information