Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Fire and Ice . . .

Here is a shot of a winter scene with the setting sun causing the marsh grass to appear to be on fire. Shot with a wide angle zoom, about 22mm and fuji superia 100 film. Just a bit of curves adjustment to bring out contrast a bit. Your comments appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire and Ice . . .-lndscp0204-1402102xweb.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 04-18-2004 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Unticking it - "Featured Photo" for 11 April 1104
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Best one yet.

I like this one a lot, Gary. It has that warm glow you tried to achieve in the other image, without actually having to soften the shot with software. Also, I think all the elements you have captured on the ground work to your advantage here. Nice contrast between blues and oranges (complimentary and all that).

You da man...

D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

This picture really reminds me of duck hunting. I really get the feeling of cold and the nice warm light really makes the picture. The only thing that is a little unsettling for me is that the horizon appears to be a little crooked. I am guessing there must have been a hill or something there making it uneven but it was one of the first things I noticed when I looked at the picture.

Greg

Well Done

Very well done. Not a lot to add to what the others have said. Very nice colors rich and well saturated. The whole image has a nice glow that sets the mood that you you were trying to capture. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by PuckJunkey
    I like this one a lot, Gary. It has that warm glow you tried to achieve in the other image, without actually having to soften the shot with software. Also, I think all the elements you have captured on the ground work to your advantage here. Nice contrast between blues and oranges (complimentary and all that).

You da man...

Thanks for the encouraging words and time to comment. . . .

Thanks for your time as well oldtimer

Greg, I could straighten the horizon out but I chose to leave it as is as I think it adds a little dimension or something more to the scene in this image. I would like to know what others feel about that issue.
    I appreciate your comments . . .

gary

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    I wish I could add something more, but I like this very much as is. I still like the other shot, it had a different feel to it, but I do like this one better. The horizon... It's looks rather straight to me, or at least straight enough. I wouldn't change anything in the pic.

Gary,

I haven't been nosing around this site too much in the last couple weeks, but I am trying to play some catch up this afternoon. I haven't seen your other pic that everyone else is refering to, so I don't have a point of reference for this one. My impression is that the colors are great and the scene is very peaceful to which others have alluded. I personally don't like the tilt in the horizon, and also I find the picture lacks a point of interest, IMHO. There's nothing that seems to draw me in.

It's a nice pic overall, but I don't find it too terribly exciting... but then again maybe that's not what you were going for!

Cheers, Stew

Quote Originally Posted by stew
    Gary,

I haven't been nosing around this site too much in the last couple weeks, but I am trying to play some catch up this afternoon. I haven't seen your other pic that everyone else is refering to, so I don't have a point of reference for this one. My impression is that the colors are great and the scene is very peaceful to which others have alluded. I personally don't like the tilt in the horizon, and also I find the picture lacks a point of interest, IMHO. There's nothing that seems to draw me in.

It's a nice pic overall, but I don't find it too terribly exciting... but then again maybe that's not what you were going for!

Cheers, Stew
    Hey Stew,
    I know what you mean about no point of interest, I just loved how the marsh grass seemed like fire coming up through the snow and ice and wanted to capture that impression.
    Good to see you back on the forum again.

darkrainfall, thanks for your comments

gary

Gary,

Something's missing. My eye keeps darting around, and is eventually led to the empty sky. The tones are nice, but it needs something dynamic, something that keeps the eye in the frame. There is a lot going on, but it all says little to me. The color is spectacular though, this is the sort of sunlight most nature shooters dream of...I think. I can't even pretend to know what nature shooters would dream of.

Keep it up.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

the colors and the textures are really very nice...I think a bit less sky would be good...and a slight tilt adjustment but not too much---something about the tilt that adds to the scene for me. sorry I haven't been commenting much---I really enjoy your stuff and have appreciated your comments in the past on my stuff.
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Here is a shot of a winter scene with the setting sun causing the marsh grass to appear to be on fire. Shot with a wide angle zoom, about 22mm and fuji superia 100 film. Just a bit of curves adjustment to bring out contrast a bit. Your comments appreciated
    I'd put this in the category of a near miss. The colors are nice, but a bit fake-looking. I kow from your description, there was no manipulation, but my first thought was: "too much photoshop." The composition is a bit lacking, too. The best landscapes take you through a progression from foreground to middle-ground to background. That doesn't happen here. I think part of the problem is the horizon line at dead center. I don't think slavish devotion to the "rule of thirds" is wise, but it seems to apply here. Maybe if you laid onthe ground and got the base of the grass, it would have all come together.

GB1

This could be a *really* nice publication ad photo

Beautiful photograph. There's no denying that the blue and orange color combination is outstanding, and that the contrast is just right.

At first I thought it has a little too much negative space at the top, but after playing with cropping it I feel that its fine but would be ideal in an ad with the text in the top of the pic. Just for an expt, I added some text to see -- do you agree?

-gb
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well, its not what I had in mind but I see what you mean. . . .thanks for your input.

gary

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Great Light.....

Great light Gary..
    I like the composotion, the horizion is well placed, just above center, which creates a good sense of visual balance.
    The photo creates a good mood too, that early spring/late winter kind of mood.
    Thanks for posting!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thanks for your comments , Brian.

gary

Thread Information