Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Fightin' Texas Aggie Ring

For those of you who don't know about the Aggie Ring, it has been the same design since 1894 when E.C. Jonas designed it for his class, since then the only major change has been changing it to Texas A&M University from Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas. Every student has the ability to get their Aggie ring after they have completed their 90th hour at the university and is one of the longest held traditions at Texas A&M.

My girlfriend got her Aggie Ring this past spring and while we were waiting to take my brothers prom pictures, I decided to take a few shots, I think this one turned out rather well, but I would love to hear your opinions.

Fightin' Texas Aggie Ring-img_2152-001.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fightin' Texas Aggie Ring-img_2152-001.jpg  
    Eric

Feel free to edit any photos I've posted

Re: Fightin' Texas Aggie Ring

I think you did well with this. The lighting is nice, showing all the detail, without blowing out the stone or any of the highlights. My only criticism is it's not a very compelling image. It basically looks like a catalog photo - a document to show what the ring looks like. That's fine and maybe that's what you were after. On the other hand, the ring does have an interesting history and it sounds like you have some a bit more interest in it than just documentation. So I can't help but wonder if there isn't a way you could better convey the history and tradition in your photo?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

If you can't find an old "grad" with a ring to photograph on their fingers side by side, then I'd like to see
    this one ,solo, on your girlfriend's hand.
    It's an outstanding ring & tradition.
    Plant a tree, help it grow. Children need something to climb.
    Critique any picture; any where; any time.

Thanks to both of you for responding.

@John - I am actually planning something for showing the history as soon as I get mine. My grandfather is class of '45, my dad is class of '86, and I will be class of '14. When I get mine we are planning to take all the rings and put them next to each other. I just need mine. There is a huge difference in the color, appearance and the story's that go along with them.

@gotrocks - I was actually thinking of doing that but she was busy trying to coordinate people, all I had to do was say, "1..2..3" *click*. Like I said to John, we are planning a re-take of us with our rings and that poses and interesting shot, especially since her's is so much shinier than mine will be.
    Eric

Feel free to edit any photos I've posted

Thread Information