Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Fetish/pinup portrait

Ree Ja
    One from a shoot I thought was worthy of working on.
    What do you think?
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fetish/pinup portrait-ree-ja-1.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Fetish/pinup portrait

I'm no expert , fetish, yes I think so ...

but pinup? hmm

the photo is great , awesome detail and great red on the pants,

The only thing I see I would change is to smooth out her feet. Nice work the lighting is perfect.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks Armando, Greg. Armando, you have a point but I feel that pinup does not have to be "vintage" 30's, 40's and 50' style. I guess i would try it to be Fetish/latex pinup :P

Greg, valid observation. I purposely did not do any smoothing to this particular model in these type shots because what i liked about her was her hard edge look. Its worth a reconsider.
    thanks much

gary

I like the hard look you were going for, but maybe I have a foot fetish , but I agree with smoothing out her veins a little in her feet. Overall the look works for me.

the pants really make this one.
    "The force of art lies in its immediate influence on human psychology and in its active contagiousness."

-Naum Gabo

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbs5050
    the pants really make this one.
    Pants? If they are, she put both legs through the same pant leg :lol:

Gary, love why you've done with the lighting here, ski look stupendous! I do have to agree w/ GB on the feet though, a bit *too* hard edge. Wardrobe is excellent, especially the red on the shoe bottoms to mimic the skirt, and a fine job managing the reflections :thumbsup:

Great shot. Model not so much. She might work in other contexts, but not this.

Thanks again. Yes, Dubbs, as Jet commented this is a skirt, a Hobble skirt to be precise.

Jet, I did finally invest in a White lightning X1600, for the modeling light more than anything else and it helps see where my reflections are going to be. . .big help.

daq, thanks for the comment. Strangley I like her raw appeal here and probably want to do some more work with her on other stuff in the future.
    Have some other shots from the session that you might feel she fits better. Thanks

gary

Just Lurking

Gary, I'm clearly the outlier here, but I see a real contradiction. I see the outfit and lighting which suggest pinup, but the expression is more like someone who's doing something they don't want to do, perhaps even a little distasteful.

PC

Quote Originally Posted by PrevailingConditions
    Gary, I'm clearly the outlier here, but I see a real contradiction. I see the outfit and lighting which suggest pinup, but the expression is more like someone who's doing something they don't want to do, perhaps even a little distasteful.

PC
    I don't know PC, one of the things that struck me straight away, mostly due to the pose and bracelets was that this could easily do double duty as a PSA speaking out against the trafficking of women, but it only gets as morbid as the viewer's mind lets it. This is a really good example of where photography becomes art, as the same photo can say different things to different viewers, all based on their personal point of view. My initial reply specifically steered well clear of this point and focused on the technicals, because I wanted to see if anyone else saw what I saw without influencing their opinion. So I don't think you're the outlier, merely perceptive!

GB1

Very nicely done! I like the creative stance and the minimalist background. Your lighting is good and everything is well exposed. The model's one visible eye is a fun twist, though a bit freaky .. however I think that was sort of the intent. I would expand the image to be the size of the black border instead of the centering you have, which throws in an equally unusual composition.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for the comments, PC, Jet, and GB.
    Its interesting as Jet described how we all take something different away from a photo.
    The lighting and style of the shot was done in a pinup fashion, however, the subject is clearly of a fetish nature not just with the clothing, but her "character" and expression as well, totally intentional, not just on my part but on hers as well.
    She is a fetish/bondage artist/model who I specifically wanted to work with.
    Yes, I can see that this will be controversial and some may be offended by the almost "violated' nature of her pose and expression.
    "Distasteful" is certainly ones' opinion, not mine and so I have to respectfully disagree with you there.
    GB, I can see the benefit of a somewhat larger canvas and will give it some consideration. It would be easy enough to do, anyway.
    Thanks to all for your time.

gary

Thread Information