Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Ferris wheel

n8

Ferris wheel

I'm getting to know (and love) lightroom lately. In the process I'm finding some older pics, and was pretty impressed by how this basic b/w conversion looked without having to go into SilverEfx or any other tweaking. These are sooc otherwise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ferris wheel-ferriswheel-1-1-.jpg   Ferris wheel-ferriswheelcolor-1-1-.jpg  
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Re: Ferris wheel

Cool stuff! Almost has an IR feel to it.

n8

Yep, that's what I thought. It doesn't hurt that the blossoms are actually white through.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

yeah first thing i thought about was IR. then realized the actual tree had white flowers. the b&w definitely works here as it tones down all the different colours that might otherwise overwhelm the photo.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Lightroom has everything anyone needs for good b&w conversions, including an excellent grain if desired. Lightroom has been amazing for my work flow. It looks like the next versions of LR may have the ability to work with layers as well....

I have to say that I prefer this image in color. The color pops. Also, I'm able to distinguish whats going on at the bottom behind the tree much better in the color. I think the b&w conversion is a bit too subdued as the whites appear now as gray. Great image to begin with, just my personal preference about the color version here.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I have to agree with Gary on this one Colour is far more interesting. However, I do like the B&W conversion.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Love both. Can't decide which is better for me. Kind of leaning toward the b/w right now.

The b/w conversion in LR3 is great, isn't it?

I also like the colour version. The reds against the blue sky really stick out and the colours are so vibrant.

I found the black railings at the bottom a bit distracting. Those railings, plus the railings in the background, the rails of the ferris wheel, and the tree in the foreground make the whole scene look really "busy".

Maybe another angle or a tighter crop may alleviate some of that "busy-ness"?

I like the color one too, only nit is the tree kind of breaks that orange color line between the white fences and it pops out on the left of the tree..
    Only way around it would be to rent a cherry picker.......LOL.
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

lol, yep, I thought IR too, then saw the white tree in color too. Anyway, I agree with Gary on the color version, though I really like the dark tone of the sky in your conversion.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Thread Information