Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Resting on the Lunatic Fringe FadderUri's Avatar

The Old Pony - Put Out to Pasture

I just joined today, figured I should jump right in. I took this picture at a local wrecking yard a few months ago, while hunting parts for my T-Bird. I saw this sitting in the corner. and it spoke to me. Would love to hear any/all opinions.
    Shot with:
    Canon AE-1
    28mm lens
    f5.6 1/60 in shaded sunlight. (Under a tree)
    Un-retouched.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Old Pony - Put Out to Pasture-pony.jpg  

Shots of old cars in the junkyard are always appealing to me. The rust areas in the upper portion of the fender look like dripping down, nice image. Try converting this shot to b&w to give it some real dynamic. Right now it's ok. i like that you captured it on an angle. Welcome aboard.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: The Old Pony - Put Out to Pasture

I like photos of old junker cars, and overall I like this image. But what bothers me a bit is the loss of detail in the shadows (on my monitor anyway). The wheel well, the engine compartment, and basically the upper righthand corner of the image all look like black voids. Perhaps a little fill flash would have helped.

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by FadderUri
    I just joined today, figured I should jump right in. I took this picture at a local wrecking yard a few months ago, while hunting parts for my T-Bird. I saw this sitting in the corner. and it spoke to me. Would love to hear any/all opinions.
    Shot with:
    Canon AE-1
    28mm lens
    f5.6 1/60 in shaded sunlight. (Under a tree)
    Un-retouched.

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

I agree with both Gary and Spike in that I would like to see a b&w of this image, and Also some detail in the hood, errrrr ... that is : where the hood used to be....

Oh, and i'd clone out what ever that is (blue object) that is coming over the fence as well... The red object to the left of the car really wouldn't bother me as much if you go B&W

Welcome to PR !!!
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Thanks for the input... fill flash, unfortunately, was not an option. I dropped my Speedlite getting it out of the car.

However, here it is from a slightly different angle, which shows more detail in the shadows. I also went ahead and converted to B/W, and added a bit of a sepia tone... The plain black and white was a bit too stark for my tastes.

Also, for grins and giggles, I've attached another pic taken up close of the front end.

Thanks again for the input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Old Pony - Put Out to Pasture-pony2.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I feel stronger about the grins and giggles pic of the front quarter of the car the best. It has more impact on me as I view it as it stands out more and better fills the frame with a specific area of this car. Less is more nad this would be even better in true b&w. imo.

gary

I like the different angle on this, It creates a diagonal line across the frame and gives it more interest... kept my attention alot longer than the first... Subtracting color from this image did alot for it. Also, I like the hubcaps in the background as well...

The close up, lol... would like to see in b&w as well... Color doesn't do much for it.
    Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker
    The close up, lol... would like to see in b&w as well... Color doesn't do much for it.

Ask and ye shall recieve. I really need to get a couple of ND filters for shooting on these very bright days so that I can open up on the aperture. Thanks for the feedback.

Ask and ye shall recieve. I really need to get a couple of ND filters so that I can open up the aperture on these bright and sunny days.

Thanks for all the input.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by FadderUri
    Ask and ye shall recieve. I really need to get a couple of ND filters so that I can open up the aperture on these bright and sunny days.

Thanks for all the input.

I am not sure if its intentional or not, I think though you were going for true b&w here as you said ask and ye shall receive. . . but there is a color cast here and not true b&w.

gary

lol.... maybe we asked wrong?

FadderUri, you have been very accommodating w/ our requests ! i wanted to thank you for that, because it helps me learn more as well, to see something and think it would look good one way, and then be able to see it done... its very helpful for me as well..
    thanks!
    Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I am not sure if its intentional or not, I think though you were going for true b&w here as you said ask and ye shall receive. . . but there is a color cast here and not true b&w.
    No, it's not a true black and white. I went back after the conversion and added a bit of sepia to it. I thought the plain black and white was a bit too harsh.

Fadder Uri

lol.... maybe we asked wrong?

FadderUri, you have been very accommodating w/ our requests ! i wanted to thank you for that, because it helps me learn more as well, to see something and think it would look good one way, and then be able to see it done... its very helpful for me as well..
    thanks!
    Not a problem. I had been avoiding doing too much B/W conversion from color prints. I was always afraid of the finished procuct coming out with too much contrast. But now that you guys got me playing with this one, I'm enjoying myself.

Fadder Uri

Do you use the channels method? this way you can really have a lot of control over the contrasyts and highlights, detail etc. .

gary

Thread Information