Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

February Moon Series

I am fascinated with the moon. Here are my best attempts to capture the moon over Phoenix this month. All shots were taken with a Canon 5D3 and a Rokinon 500mm f6.3 manual lens, with and without the 2x extender. I'd appreciate critique on any or all! Thx for looking.

durtgurl.smugmug.com

Re: February Moon Series

wow !! love the last two!

Images look a touch blurry , I'm not sure if is the lens , or camera blurr
    is this one of the mirror lenses ? can the aperture be closed a bit more ?

When I shoot the moon I use my 70-300mm zoom @f/8, lock the mirror up, and use a remote to trigger the shutter
    then I need to crop at 100% to get a decent size image, the quality can be quite good

I also have a 2x teleconverter but the IQ is disappointing and I really gain nothing even if the moon is bigger in the sensor

Thanks for the reply! I am doing all I can to reduce camera shake... mirror lock-up (actually, just live view which essentially is mirror lock-up), a remote, and weighting of the tripod to keep all steady. The blur comes from the cheap lens. It's a mirror lens with only one f-stop and manual focus. Focus is super touchy - I use the live view magnification to set. Until I get a big-bucks L tele prime, I am having a blast pushing this $150 lens to its limits. What you see above is probably about the best the lens can produce!! Images 2 and 4 are cropped, the others are not. All received some tweeking in LR4.
    durtgurl.smugmug.com

Very nice. I'm also a big fan of the moon and your shots capture it nicely considering the lens used. I think I was out shooting it for some of the same phases I see you captured. It's always fun to think of that Disney cliche when looking at it - "Who else is looking at it right now too?". I also have one of those 2x converters (mine is a Vivitar that allows for close focus too). I try to use it sparingly but sometimes the reach is worth the compromise. Having a quality lens mounted to it also helps a lot. I really don't like the results with my cheap 55-300 zoom on that TC but with my vintage A*300/4 (also manual focus) it can be acceptable if everything else is just about perfect.
    I was actually about to post my moonrise shot from last night here too!

Thread Information