Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

A father son moment

Took this one today during one of my photoshoots. Used my new to me Canon 50D and my 135mmL.

Shot wide open at 2.0 so I could really blow the back ground out of focus.

I love this shot, What do you guys think? What can I do better?

Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Re: A father son moment

That picture is absolutely precious. There is just something about a big strong daddy holding a baby - and you definitely captured that in this photo. Great detail, photogenic subjects, the whole picture came out great!

Lovely portrait. Lighting seems very good to me, and good expressive faces caught well. It seems a little tight top and bottom, as I'd like to give just a little more room above Dad's head and maybe not cut off the fingers on the bottom. The son's eyes draw me right into the image.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Thanks guys, yeah i didn't notice i nicked his finger in the photo until I started going through them. I love how the blue eyes of the little boy stand right out.

The lighting is all natural, it was a cloudy fall day and the lighting worked in my favor!
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

really lovely moment. Great picture even if I would like to see a "cooler" version (talking about color temperature)
    My sport photography website: http://www.scattisportivi.com

good job...it's quite centered though.

Quote Originally Posted by rylan View Post
    Thanks guys, yeah i didn't notice i nicked his finger in the photo until I started going through them.
    Don't worry about that. The hand is in, and the way his hand is positioned the fingers don't look chopped off.

It's a lovely shot. The tones are nice and the lighting is soft and even.

My only issue is that they're smack dab in the center of the frame. This might have called for a portrait orientation, rather than landscape.
    "Photography as a fad is well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze."

-- Alfred Stieglitz
    The American Annual of Photography, 1897

L.A. Landscapes

Seems the little fellow is mimicking his father's look. Same eyes, chin, and even seems to be trying to grin the same way. Good photo.

Its a very fine shot, Rylan. I agree with AE's comments regarding the fingers, not an issue. In my opinion here, the center framing works well. There is a good sense of environment with the space on both sides. I think this is a case where many different crops can work well, whether you place the subjects on one side or the other or had shot vertical frame. The moment is great and the lighting just right.
    Congrats, very well done.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 11-04-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured Photo
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by AmyF View Post
    That picture is absolutely precious. There is just something about a big strong daddy holding a baby - and you definitely captured that in this photo. Great detail, photogenic subjects, the whole picture came out great!
    But what could he do to make it better? A good critique isn't complete without some recommendations for improvement
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Rylan,
    How can you improve perfection? The photo is all but perfect in every way! Focus, subject matter, lighting - and - you even captured the little guy with a great expression on his face. That in itself it a hard thing to do. Excellent job!
    Anna P.

Pefect "Dad & Son" moment. The fall colors in the background look to good to blur out completely.
    I dont mind them being centered. With the dad being so much bigger than the kid, I believe it works out.

Thread Information