Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: A Falling Barn

A Falling Barn

One left over from last weekend. What do you think?

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

MB1

Re: A Falling Barn

Naaaaaaa.

The sucker is too centered, the sky is lousy, there is too much contrast and there is too much foreground.
    No, I DON'T need that.

GB1

It's a good subject alright, but I feel that you probably didn't get the best angle. The sky is pretty blase. I've been to desert parks on days like this and there's really little you can do except experimental stuff. I'm not sure there's too much foreground as MB notes, for it sort of places the barn. But there really isn't all that much happening there (where's the rabbits, deer, etc?). Anyway, good subject for snowfall days.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Ok, somebody has to be the contrarian :-)

If it's a photo of a falling barn, I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't think the barn is too centered. Part of the barn is in the center, but the barn spreads across from the right to the left, with a large part of it on the left (from the perspective of a viewer) of the photo. If it was shot with a wider angle lens, then I may agree. Otherwise, as is I think it's ok.

It would be nice with some deers, rabbits, eagles, or even some fish ;-) But then it would become a different photo, depicting a different kind of scenery, and invoking a different feeling.

One thing though, I would like to see a some of the shadows a bit brighter.

I think I do noticed a couple of members here like to shoot subject like this.

I like it. Theres a moodiness here. I would like to see the wood of the barn popping . Maybe drag just a hint of color into the pic. I like your composition. I dont really need my eye being led anywhere than what should be obvious. I would like to see the seperation of the tin roof and the siding with that hint of color. The deer are probably hanging inside the barn. ...and fire that prop guy who didn't show up!
    Please ask to edit photos and I'll do the same! :thumbsup:
    Thx, Rod
    http://krimingerphotography.printroom.com

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Naaaaaaa.

The sucker is too centered, the sky is lousy, there is too much contrast and there is too much foreground.
    It is sad and disappointing to see such a dismissive, effortless and thoughtless critique as this; it helps nobody.

Greg this is a teriffic subject; where do you find them. It is a little blocked up in places especially under the eaves. Getting in closer I think would be good on this particular barn and perhaps we might be able to see a little inside the entrance door but then we would loose the old iron gate at the front and the fence behind which I like. The skyless sky here is not the end of the world by any means. This subject must be worth a couple of hours of interesting shooting.
    Would love to see more shots of this Greg, you must have a few more angles lying around.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

MB1, GB1, AG, Rod and Tom, Thanks for the input. There is a road just to the left of the barn. I had to add grass to cover it up. It's probably falling due to being hit by a truck.LOL. There is also an ugly light pole just off to the right. I off set it as much as I could and still get the gate in on the left. I shot this with Ilford SFX200 and a red filter. Yes to bad about the sky but it seems to me B&W film will blow out a sky very easily. There was more detail in the digital version.

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Greg, I gotta go out by you sometime and tour some of these incredible subjects you have. i think this shot is not too bad, and definetly in color. Color brings out the best in these old rustic barns and their surroundings. Aside from some of the other good advice here I would say get in closer with a wide angle for drama and try to get the peak of the roof in between the two trees behind it, but closer to the one that is behind it now. I notice you have definition in the sky in the color version.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I like the color version better. Thats a great shot, love it!

Naaaaaaa.

Sorry man, totally unnecessary and disrespectful.

I like the b&w version myself. This barn is not just falling down, it's leaning--it's dancing down. There's a beautiful curved line from the barn roof to the ground. That's what makes the photo.

MB1

Check List.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    MB1, GB1, AG, Rod and Tom, Thanks for the input. ......]
    Detail in the sky. Check.

Barn fits the rule of thirds. Check

Good ratio of foreground to subject to sky. Check

Detail in the wood and the roof of the barn. Check

Very reasonable contrast. Check

Plus the fence line is in a good place to lead the viewer through the image.

I like it.

Totally unnecessary and disrespectful, dismissive, effortless and thoughtless MB1.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Not to speak for MB1, but I believe he was addressing Greg in a manner of which two friends might address one another. Bluntly and to the point. Although I do not agree with the critique personally, I know MB1 to be a very helpful and constructive member of this forum who has contributed much of his good time here. I think his previous critique here could understandably be misunderstood, but knowing him from this forum I personally would not take offense with his comment. He, as well as the other members here who have jumped to the defense of another when thought need be are the reason why this is the greatest place on the web! Lets carry on!
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Agree!!!!!

Greg . I like your color version. Hmmm..I think I would try to tone down the forefront and then layer the barn seperately and throw some hue and saturation at it till it gets that..well Gary look. My problem with all these rules is whether or not it truly makes the picture better. Are we shooting for the critique or the consumer..(who probably loves that elvis sky sunset). You can't discount a pic if it scores low on a test.
    Please ask to edit photos and I'll do the same! :thumbsup:
    Thx, Rod
    http://krimingerphotography.printroom.com

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Not to speak for MB1, but I believe he was addressing Greg in a manner of which two friends might address one another. Bluntly and to the point. Although I do not agree with the critique personally, I know MB1 to be a very helpful and constructive member of this forum who has contributed much of his good time here. I think his previous critique here could understandably be misunderstood, but knowing him from this forum I personally would not take offense with his comment. He, as well as the other members here who have jumped to the defense of another when thought need be are the reason why this is the greatest place on the web! Lets carry on!

Ditto Gary. And anytime you are in the North Georgia, Atlanta area let me know and I will give you a tour.

MB1, chaman, Don, Thanks again.
    Rod I guess I could layer it and desaturate the grass.

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

I like the color version better. The tonal range on the B&W version just isn't there, and the color one is better compositionally.

MB1, looks like you're making your lists, checking em twice, and sending bad critiques to pix that aren't nice! (LOL).

~~ Merry Christmas, everyone ~~

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Re: Check List.

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Detail in the sky. Check.

Barn fits the rule of thirds. Check

Good ratio of foreground to subject to sky. Check

Detail in the wood and the roof of the barn. Check

Very reasonable contrast. Check

Plus the fence line is in a good place to lead the viewer through the image.

I like it.

Totally unnecessary and disrespectful, dismissive, effortless and thoughtless MB1.
    I like it MB; from the heart. . ............ Check
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

I like the second one much more!

I do like the color version and also the B&W version. If the gate and fencing wasn't modern you could almost pass the B&W photo off as a Civil War period photo.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Irina, freygr...Thanks

Sony a99/a7R

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

The color version has alot of personality. "Check" Hahahaha.

Nice capture G'

WARNING Takes Random Pictures MonkeyWrench's Avatar

Great subject Greg. I to like the color vs the Black and White. The BW looks flat to me. Does the Print look much different than the scan? Did you try using different contrast paper or filter when making the print? I have shot BW film and skys do present a challange. With out any clouds you just get a shade of grey. The Red Filter may have contributed to some of the dark issues. Did you take a shot without the filter? If you processed the print yourself did the negitave have any detial under the eves that you could of doged during processing? One of the things you lost was the constrasting colors of the grass, which I think makes the foreground more interesting in the color picture. Id be interested in seeing what the BW conversion of the digital would look like (ie would it keep the detail of the sky etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I shot this with Ilford SFX200 and a red filter. Yes to bad about the sky but it seems to me B&W film will blow out a sky very easily.
    Have you tried using a split filter and, perhaps, together with a polarizing filter to get as much details as possible out of that sky?

There was more detail in the digital version.
    Indeed. You could get a better B&W version of the image out of it (sorry, I did play with it to see what it could turn out).

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
    Great subject Greg. I to like the color vs the Black and White. The BW looks flat to me. Does the Print look much different than the scan? Did you try using different contrast paper or filter when making the print? I have shot BW film and skys do present a challange. With out any clouds you just get a shade of grey. The Red Filter may have contributed to some of the dark issues. Did you take a shot without the filter? If you processed the print yourself did the negitave have any detial under the eves that you could of doged during processing? One of the things you lost was the constrasting colors of the grass, which I think makes the foreground more interesting in the color picture. Id be interested in seeing what the BW conversion of the digital would look like (ie would it keep the detail of the sky etc...)

Monkey Wrench, This is a scan. I remember, I thought, seeing detail in the sky on the negative.I was disappointed that it didn't show on the scan. The SFX200 is a wonderful film but it is expensive. I posted other shots from the roll in the film forum. I plan to do some contact prints later on. I have an enlarger. I shot the red filter because the SFX200 is suppose to have an IR look to it the darker the red filter you use. I have a darker filter but it is a four stop filter and I didn't have my tripod when I shot this series. I also shot this with my Bessa so I couldn't use a graduate. But used a graduate on the color version. Thanks for the input. I must add. I really like this film. Not for every series due to cost, but I plan to use it again.

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    Have you tried using a split filter and, perhaps, together with a polarizing filter to get as much details as possible out of that sky?

Indeed. You could get a better B&W version of the image out of it (sorry, I did play with it to see what it could turn out).

Thanks AE The polarizer is a thought...

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information