Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

The Eyes Have It

Submitted for your opinion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Eyes Have It-dsc_6850-6-b-w-640.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: The Eyes Have It

A beautiful little face is in there Larry. It is a wonderful shot ,I would prefer to see the lips included,simply my preference not a critique
    Steve B.

Simply lovely. The tones, smooth yet defined skin texture, sharpness of the eyes, and I do like the framing as it is. Just right. Good work.
    btw, I rarely move off this forum to any others so it's nice to see you drop by. . .
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

OT,

the tones the symmetry the eyes - Darn good photo.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

This face is beautiful and pure and the eyes have everything including a rare sight of eye liquid/tears, if I'm using the right word here.
    I amagined it without the upper lip but then I started to miss it. There are a few crops available here and they all work even a letterbox of the beautiful eyes. But no, I would not change anything.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Simply lovely. The tones, smooth yet defined skin texture, sharpness of the eyes, and I do like the framing as it is. Just right. Good work.
    btw, I rarely move off this forum to any others so it's nice to see you drop by. . .
    Thank you Gary for your kind remarks. I respect your opinion and appreciate your comments. I need to get back over here more often. This was an image that I felt I want opinions on and knew this was the right venue to get them. Since taking over as Gallery Moderator I spend much of my time there. I would also like to remind posters that if they allow their images to cross post to the gallery it's nice to stop by over there and see if some of the regular gallery members have made comments. Once again Gary thanks and I hope to be here more often.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks Steve, Roger and Tom for your kind remarks. This was an image I was not at all sure about. I tried different versions and kept coming back to my original take on the photo. I kept the hint of the lips in the lower portion of the image because with out them the photo seemed to lose symmetry. To me the lips seemed to complete a V leading the viewer into the heart of the image.

Nikon Samurai #13

Very nice OT. I like how you filled the frame, and great tones as well...
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks Greg. I really like the tones in this as well. I originally was looking at this in color and on a whim tried it in b&w and immediately knew that was the way I wanted to present this image. The color version couldn't hold a candle to the b&w.

Congrads on the POTW. Excellent image.

Nikon Samurai #13

Liquid Photography

Hi Old Timer, All i can say is i find this shot to be truly amazing! there is so much feeling in the eyes that you cannot look away from it! It would look great on a 6ft x 6ft canvas!!! :thumbsup:

the eyes have a sophistication the rest of the face dosnt have.. somehow i feel they dont match.. just my thoughts.. or at least the thoughts the picture conjured up..

trog

Quote Originally Posted by trog100
    the eyes have a sophistication the rest of the face dosnt have.. somehow i feel they dont match.. just my thoughts.. or at least the thoughts the picture conjured up..

trog
    Not sure what you mean. Could you define how you are using sophistication in relation to the eyes? I agree that the eyes are the most compelling part of the image and they were meant to be. Is this your point. I appreciate your comment and hope you will elaborate.

Nikon Samurai #13

Very kind of you point*break. This is my grandson standing at my knee while I was sitting with my camera tiring to get him still for just a moment. He was very much questioning just what I wanted from him. I think I captured something of his character in this photo.

Nikon Samurai #13

Nice photo of Jake, Larry. I believe you caught personality in this shot. He looks pensive/and ready for a nap.
    Lara

it must be something about eyes looked at very closely.. eyes seem to be ageless.. purely as a photograph i dont think it works.. at least for none family members.. he he

for family members its beautiful..

trog

O.T.-

I haven't had much time for offering comments on the website the past couple weeks, work is a bit nuts at the year end. However, I just had to offer a couple words on this shot: very nice. Really like this photo, the skin texture is perfect, the eyes are perfect and I think the hint of the upper lip works just fine. Nice job. Beautiful baby.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Absolutely gorgeous (makes me want to go find a baby and try it myself!). What makes it special is the unusualness of it. And that lip is inspired.

Mike

Lara, CF and Mike I appreciate your taking the time to look and comment on this image. As you know Lara this little guy is very special being the first grandchild. I am always looking for a different or unusal perspective for images of him. I hope this one worked to some degree. I really liked the b&w version I've strived to caputre his eyes and never felt that I had what I wanted till this photo.

trog100 I appreciate your take on the image and your comments. Photography is a very personal thing and what one person appreciates another may not. Thanks for your views that's what this forum is all about.

Nikon Samurai #13

The first grandchild is very special! My eldest daughter is 27 now - but won't take the hint ;)

Mike

Larry,
    Lovely and interesting shot. We're expecting our first grandchild in February. My wife is excited....I'm excited.....my d70 is excited.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Didache
    The first grandchild is very special! My eldest daughter is 27 now - but won't take the hint ;)

Mike
    Keep the faith my eldest daughter was 29 when she had this little guy and now is pregnant again with what will be our 4th grand child in April. Both my sons were fathers with in the last 3 months. So we went from famine to feast in a hurry it can happen for you too.

Nikon Samurai #13

Quote Originally Posted by swmdrayfan
    Larry,
    Lovely and interesting shot. We're expecting our first grandchild in February. My wife is excited....I'm excited.....my d70 is excited.
    John
    Thanks for the comment John. My wife and I are having the time of our life as grandparents and my cameras have never been busier. I'll be waiting for pictures in Feb.

Nikon Samurai #13

The clarity in the eyes and eye lashes is awesome OT. Not easy to get both in focus, I'm always trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    As you know Lara this little guy is very special being the first grandchild. I am always looking for a different or unusal perspective for images of him. I hope this one worked to some degree. I really liked the b&w version I've strived to caputre his eyes and never felt that I had what I wanted till this photo.
    I sure do know he's very special to you Larry. Your photograph worked for me. One can really learn from people like, you who share their work.
    Lara

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    The clarity in the eyes and eye lashes is awesome OT. Not easy to get both in focus, I'm always trying!
    Thanks Alison I appreciate you taking the time to comment. Eyes have been a bug a boo with me hope I got it close to right this time. I was working very close to him and was hoping every thing was in focus. You know how these little guys can move on you.

Nikon Samurai #13

Thread Information