Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Fleet Week SF Oct 03

Heres a pic I did last October of the Port of San Francisco during fleet week.

Here's the larger view:
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...sort=1&cat=500

I upped contrast and messed with levels...
    to get the same effect as in this post: (mulling over this one...)
    mulling over this one....

Any thoughts?

VD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fleet Week SF Oct 03-port-sf-1003-small.jpg  
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Opinionated Newbie
    vil -- Honestly, I'm not getting anything from this. I don't know why, but for me, it's just "there".

Ugh. Is that too harsh?

Oh please... I have thicker skin than that. You're not being harsh, just honest.

Cheers

VillenaDeCorte

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten
    vil -- Honestly, I'm not getting anything from this. I don't know why, but for me, it's just "there".

Ugh. Is that too harsh?
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

?????????

At first I thought not to comment on this image as I find it hard to relate to and am not moved by the image one way or the other - not sure why??

Maybe I expect images to tell a story or be inspiring or uplifting or spark some other emotive response. This image does not do that for me.

I wonder if my perception of your image would be different if viewed in context with other images or text??????

If nothing else the image made me stop and think about what it is the photographer saw.

Thanks for sharing. (I think)
    Focus on the positive!

Original picture...

This wasnt intended to tell any story. It is just a segment of this larger image that I was dissappointed with. So I tried to use the Port building as an abstract.

Thanks for looking (i think) ;)

VD

Quote Originally Posted by Irish
    At first I thought not to comment on this image as I find it hard to relate to and am not moved by the image one way or the other - not sure why??

Maybe I expect images to tell a story or be inspiring or uplifting or spark some other emotive response. This image does not do that for me.

I wonder if my perception of your image would be different if viewed in context with other images or text??????

If nothing else the image made me stop and think about what it is the photographer saw.

Thanks for sharing. (I think)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fleet Week SF Oct 03-blue-angels-009-small.jpg  
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

Seb
    Hello Villena

I think that I have to agree with others here. This picture doesnt work all alone but I think that it could be clever if you were to create a mosaic of several small abstracts.

I have to say that I love the processed and very digital feel of the image. You created a nice texture which I think would fit very well in the context of a mosaic.

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by villenadecorte
    This wasnt intended to tell any story. It is just a segment of this larger image that I was dissappointed with. So I tried to use the Port building as an abstract.

Thanks for looking (i think) ;)

VD
    I like it better solo. I don't always comment on a photo right away but sometimes return to see if it feels the same as the first time.
    I like the abstraction that the isolation gives it. Before opening it, because of the title I was expecting maybe tall ships or maybe the blessing of the fleet at Fisherman's Warf or a parade of warships. I was ready for anything. Well...almost anything. When I opened it, amongst all those crashing images in my head I was presented with the monolith from 2002 A Space Odyssey (that is the weirdest word to spell - I don't think I've ever written it before). Then it changed to a low angle shot of a trash receptical like you empty your tray into at McDonalds. Then I had to figure out what those tiny little stickers were and the scale finally popped and I knew how large it was.
    It was nice of you to supply all these things in one shot. It's fun looking at solid realism abstract by the way its shot.
    Now I'm going to go back and look at your fence again - I'm not sure that one will ever grab me much, although there is a sense of victory over order in it.

Seb and Chunk

Seb, thanks for the comments. I appreciate you looking and taking the time to give your feedback.
    Chunk, I am going to take this as a compliment, and I love that the pic took you through different elements before figuring out what it was I had posted.

And yes, Odyssey is a pain to spell.

Cheers!
    VillenaDeCorte

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    I like it better solo. I don't always comment on a photo right away but sometimes return to see if it feels the same as the first time.
    I like the abstraction that the isolation gives it. Before opening it, because of the title I was expecting maybe tall ships or maybe the blessing of the fleet at Fisherman's Warf or a parade of warships. I was ready for anything. Well...almost anything. When I opened it, amongst all those crashing images in my head I was presented with the monolith from 2002 A Space Odyssey (that is the weirdest word to spell - I don't think I've ever written it before). Then it changed to a low angle shot of a trash receptical like you empty your tray into at McDonalds. Then I had to figure out what those tiny little stickers were and the scale finally popped and I knew how large it was.
    It was nice of you to supply all these things in one shot. It's fun looking at solid realism abstract by the way its shot.
    Now I'm going to go back and look at your fence again - I'm not sure that one will ever grab me much, although there is a sense of victory over order in it.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

Quote Originally Posted by villenadecorte
    Chunk, I am going to take this as a compliment, and I love that the pic took you through different elements before figuring out what it was I had posted.
    Sorry about all the babble. I meant it to be a compliment on an interesting abstract. Communication has always been a weak point of mine, you'll have to bear with.

No worries Chunk, I got what you meant

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Sorry about all the babble. I meant it to be a compliment on an interesting abstract. Communication has always been a weak point of mine, you'll have to bear with.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

Thread Information