Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

mulling over this one....

Not sure if I like it or not. I did some PS tweaking to make it more grainy, and upped the contrast to give it a funky feel.

Its a tad small so I will also load the larger one here:

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...sort=1&cat=500

Any thoughts? yes- i know the picture is off centered with the matting on the larger image. fixing that... ;)

Thanks for looking

VD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mulling over this one....-busted-up.jpg  
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by villenadecorte
    Not sure if I like it or not. I did some PS tweaking to make it more grainy, and upped the contrast to give it a funky feel.

Its a tad small so I will also load the larger one here:

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...sort=1&cat=500

Any thoughts? yes- i know the picture is off centered with the matting on the larger image. fixing that... ;)

Thanks for looking

VD

Hello Villena,

Quite frankly, this one is disconcerting. I am not too sure what to think about it. The lighting is harsh which would normally bother me yet it's not really the case here. Your composition surely is of some interest but I think that I need to look at it few more times before making my mind. I guess that I would describe it as a chaotic emptiness (if it makes any sense!). It could have been shot after a nuclear attack, there is something toxic about the colours cast.

regards

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 08-05-2004 at 07:04 PM.

Jim Torlakson

Are you familiar with his art? His art sort of inspired me to do this one.
    He has this funkiness to some of his paintings and etchings, one of a truck knocked over and one of adrive in sign... it has that harsh light and fuzzyness to it. We had a lot of his art at the firm I worked for, so I became a fan of it fast.
    I rarely do inanimate objects, so I am trying to do them now, and trying to show them in a more interesting way.
    I still don't know what I even think of this one...
    Thanks for your input - I appreciate it

VD

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Hello Villena,

Quite frankly, this one is disconcerting. I am not too sure what to think about it. The lighting is harsh which would normally bother me yet it's not really the case here. Your composition surely is of some interest but I think that I need to look at it few more times before making my mind. I guess that I would describe it as a chaotic emptiness (if it makes any sense!). It could have been shot after a nuclear attack, there is something toxic about the colours cast.

regards

Seb
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

If that's the guy who's style you want to achieve then I think you are half way there. He is definitely an "acquired" taste ;)

but since it appears quite a bit of his work was watercolor...adding a posterizing filter to it achieves thats ame odd cut paper look his stuff had...hope you don't mind

my version of your shot ala Jim Torlakson
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Great one

Nat, nice rendition.
    Not that I want to "achieve" his style, I just happen to be a fan of his style, and his work inspires me to try something new and work on inanimate objects. I like that his choice of subjects are usually not very interesting things to look at... but he makes them so. (In my opinon).
    My original was just of the fence... and after I looked at it, I realized, this reminds me of a JT! So I played with it a bit to make it look more.... interesting, weird... boring who knows!
    JT is an "aquired" taste. He was a friend of one of the partners at the firm I worked for. He did a lot of art for him, I would be in this partners office all the time just staring at all his art that he had of JTs ... it was great.
    More recently, our friends band used two of his artworks on their album covers. I was totally blown away by that when I saw it.
    Thanks for the feedback
    VD

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    If that's the guy who's style you want to achieve then I think you are half way there. He is definitely an "acquired" taste ;)

but since it appears quite a bit of his work was watercolor...adding a posterizing filter to it achieves thats ame odd cut paper look his stuff had...hope you don't mind

my version of your shot ala Jim Torlakson
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

I keep looking at this and I know what it is your going for, and it's close. I think this is ok. I could'nt give you any advice on this, as I don't think there is anything "wrong" here. I think these are easier to digest when shown in a series of shots of the same. I like the concept here and would love to see you do mpore of these.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

a little pepto with the pic...

I agree, a series may be a digestive aid for this.
    I have a few more. I may try that out.
    Thank you for your feedback, Gary!

VillenaDeCorte

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I keep looking at this and I know what it is your going for, and it's close. I think this is ok. I could'nt give you any advice on this, as I don't think there is anything "wrong" here. I think these are easier to digest when shown in a series of shots of the same. I like the concept here and would love to see you do mpore of these.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by villenadecorte
    Are you familiar with his art? His art sort of inspired me to do this one.
    He has this funkiness to some of his paintings and etchings, one of a truck knocked over and one of adrive in sign... it has that harsh light and fuzzyness to it. We had a lot of his art at the firm I worked for, so I became a fan of it fast.
    I rarely do inanimate objects, so I am trying to do them now, and trying to show them in a more interesting way.
    I still don't know what I even think of this one...
    Thanks for your input - I appreciate it

VD
    Hello Villena,

To answer to your question, no, I don't know Jim Torlakson but you certainly make me curious to learn about the guy.
    Looking back at your picture, I think that it is growing on me. I'd lie if I was telling you that I feel perfectly comfortable with it (at that point in time) but I like it more and more.
    Thank you for displaying something that different.

Seb

Thanks

Hi Seb,
    Thanks for your feeback....
    I myself am not entirely comfortable with it ;) I like to look at it, but not because its aesthetically pleasing but just because its weird to me. (and this is a place that I pass daily!) I think you summed it up good with that toxic nuclear feeling! haha.

Thanks again
    VD

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Hello Villena,

To answer to your question, no, I don't know Jim Torlakson but you certainly make me curious to learn about the guy.
    Looking back at your picture, I think that it is growing on me. I'd lie if I was telling you that I feel perfectly comfortable with it (at that point in time) but I like it more and more.
    Thank you for displaying something that different.

Seb
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

i like pictures of mundane, "ugly" things. its harder to make them look appealing. we,re surrounded by all this stuff all the time and i like it when you can transform it into something, if not beautiful, at least intriguing. i like this picture and the graininess, its a little edgy. i like the artist you mentioned, i wasnt familiar with him before, my kind of subject matter.

Thanks!
    Here is a link to JTs website
    http://www.jamestorlakson.com

Ive never had the pleasure of meeting him, as I said he was a friend of someone I worked with, so I've only been exposed to some of his art.
    But this site has a complete listing if Im not mistaken.

Cheers!
    VD

Quote Originally Posted by jlburt
    i like pictures of mundane, "ugly" things. its harder to make them look appealing. we,re surrounded by all this stuff all the time and i like it when you can transform it into something, if not beautiful, at least intriguing. i like this picture and the graininess, its a little edgy. i like the artist you mentioned, i wasnt familiar with him before, my kind of subject matter.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

Thread Information