Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

The Essence of Speed

Another from the 2006 Downtown El Cajon Criterium. I tried to reverse the usual depiction of speed where viewer sees the background blurred and the rider in focus. In this shot the background, our world, is in focus but the speed of the rider is emphasized. Hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Essence of Speed-essence-speed.jpg  

drg

Re: The Essence of Speed

I like the image concept in general.

This seems to need more of 'our' world in focus to help anchor the image. As it stands I feel that if a weak link in the composition is to be singled out it would be that at first glance it just appears to be a blurry out of focus photo.

Something like this with a single spectator or an innocuous object such as a fireplug in sharp relief can make these images really work.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Flyer
    Another from the 2006 Downtown El Cajon Criterium. I tried to reverse the usual depiction of speed where viewer sees the background blurred and the rider in focus. In this shot the background, our world, is in focus but the speed of the rider is emphasized. Hope you like it.
    Like it, but I think you need more of the riders defined. It wouldn't stand on its own without your description.

If you pan the riders it also looks like they're going at a decent speed since the background looks speedy. I don't like the way the photo was taken. But anyways, nice color, nice focus and everything.
    Nikon D50
    Nikkor 28mm-80mm f/3.3-5.6
    Quantaray 70mm-300mm f/4.0-5.6
    Quantaray 58mm Circular Polarizer, Diffuser, UV Haze Filters

Thanks very much for the comments. I appreciate all three of the remarks.

CF

Thread Information