Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Enlightenment

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar

Enlightenment

Canon 10d - Sigma 70-200 f2.8 - This image was not dodge or burned simply converted to B&W

Postive and Negative feedback is always welcome.
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Liz

Re: Enlightenment

Great Image......... how did you do this? I love it......

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by ACArmstrong
    Canon 10d - Sigma 70-200 f2.8 - This image was not dodge or burned simply converted to B&W

This works great in black and white. I saw your color one in the No Words thread, but wow, this is amazing. The guy in the foreground is perfectly out of focus! Nice shot!

Visually a nice image. Great focus and lighting on the man in the middle and his backward cap has character. The picture does not say anything to me and I personally do not feel that it pulls me in as there is not enough going on to tell me to keep looking . But technically great, and as I stated it has a visual appeal in the lighting and focus. A very good shot.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Great Image......... how did you do this? I love it......

Liz
    Liz, this image might help you understand the lighting conditions of that evening a little better.

This was an outdoor concert in what's known as "old market square" - basically a courtyard the size of a couple of football fields that runs between old 2 - 3 story buildings.

When the sun sets it drops behind one side of the buildings puts half the crowd in gorgeous golden light and the other half in shade. I metered to get detail in people who were in the full or partial sunlight and waited for the right moment when sunlight was passing through a gap over a two-story building but not passing through the three-story building on either side of it. The gentelman in the photo just happened to be tall enough to catch the last of the light, while others around him had none.
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Liz

Lighting

I love it when the sun/light does this during the sunset and/or sunrise. The other evening I actually grabbed my camera and took a shot of a white wire basket in my office full of "stuff" to be filed - just because the golden sun was reflected on the basket. The glow and color was glorious. The image itself was nothing, but I still enjoyed that "glow" when I saw the print. ;)

I really like what you did here.

Liz

Liz, this image might help you understand the lighting conditions of that evening a little better.

This was an outdoor concert in what's known as "old market square" - basically a courtyard the size of a couple of football fields that runs between old 2 - 3 story buildings.

When the sun sets it drops behind one side of the buildings puts half the crowd in gorgeous golden light and the other half in shade. I metered to get detail in people who were in the full or partial sunlight and waited for the right moment when sunlight was passing through a gap over a two-story building but not passing through the three-story building on either side of it. The gentelman in the photo just happened to be tall enough to catch the last of the light, while others around him had none.

Truthfully I find this to be a rather disturbing image. It creeps me out. I mean don't get me wrong, it's way cool how the light found this one man a made him stand out from the crowd, but that is just the point. Look at his expression compared to those around him. He looks ghostly, like he is on anonther plain. Like I said, this is a creepy image, but I really like it. Nice job.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information