Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Emerson's (Americana Continued)

Leica MP, Voigtlander 35/1.7 Ultron, Kodak Plus-x B&W film.

Re: Emerson's (Americana Continued)

With the b/w it makes you look at the small details and shadows in the shot. The details really look like they tell a story of the building and the city that its in. Great job

Fine composition, Tuna. This is a timeless image of the American story. great lighting, sky and tones. I was feeling that I might have wanted to see the edge of the roof on the left frame, but it's really unimportant. Well done
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I feel like Im missing something on the right. Maybe shot from a slight angle would be more interesting. Love the BW though,

Shawn

Hey Tuna,

Another great shot telling a story. The only thing that I find distracting is the possible digital noise added in the clouds/sky. Is that there on your original? If not, I'd suggest masking out the sky in some of your PP steps.

BR,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Themage - thank you for your reply and welcome to the forum.

Whenever one receives a thumbs-up review from Gary, it is definitely time to pop the top off a Pinot and celebrate. As I am doing right now on this early Friday evening stuck in Watauga, Texas. Cheers.

Shawn - I see you are also relatively new to the forum - welcome and thank you for your comment. Yes, I would normally recommend an angled shot of a building front and also I would stress to leave a little room around the edges of the subject for it to breathe (see Gary's comments...). However, as Evans and Atget taught us, to help the viewer focus on the details in a circumstance like this one - a straight-on, cropped-in shot serves the purpose best.

Tim - your comments are always valued and respected. Thank you for taking the time here and I'm glad you liked the story being told. I agree that there is "noise" in the sky but I refer to call it by it's "old" name - grain. It was (and still is) an attribute of film. In this age of digital smoothness and anti-"noise"ification, maybe not to the liking of some. I could have administered noise-removal software such as NeatImage or the like but I didn't because I like the grain, especially here. Though we see it more in the sky, we find it throughout the rest of the image if we look closely. For me, this image is about age, a certain timelesness. That is why I left it alone - but it is a matter of taste and I understand your comments and I'm sure others will agree that the grain is distracting. Maybe if I reduced it a tad in the sky only...

By the way, I ADD grain when I shoot digitally...again, a matter of taste.

Thanks again.

Tuna

Thread Information