Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: El Paso Vistas

GB1

El Paso Vistas

Taken last night.

Not sure how prominent in the first photo the girls on the right side are?

Nikon D200.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Paso Vistas-_dsc4614_px640.jpg   El Paso Vistas-_dsc4636_px640.jpg   El Paso Vistas-_dsc4638_px640.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: El Paso Vistas

I am not sure about the limbs in the way but I like the shots. I would adjust the color in the second one and get rid of the high pressure sodium, orange tint. Nice work GB, the last one reminds me of the movie , Close Encounters. Good work.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

MB1

Without reading your text the women in the first image were not all that noticable.

The branches in the first image bother me, the color in the second image seems too brown/orange and the third image has too many blank dark areas.

Of the three I like the second image the best with the lighting and moon adding a lot-I just want a cooler and richer color.
    No, I DON'T need that.

GB1

Greg - The last one is Close Encounters? I don't see it, but the second reminds me of 2001, Space Odyssey, because of that column (the monolith, maybe that was the idea behind them placing it there?).

MB (and Greg), in the 2nd photo, do you say the top branches are distracting, the middle, left side ones, or both? To me the middle branches do clutter things up a bit, but they also add a feeling of outdoors, of wildness, etc.

That orange is difficult to remove. I tried last night but didn't like the resulting color either.

Tried a self portrait out there too... five second exposure shot on manual, with flash for near distance illumination. THe only sucky part is that you have to sit perfectly still for the entire exposure. It also created some odd blue shadows around the legs, why I have no idea.

Gb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Paso Vistas-ep1.jpg  

My Site

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

The flash created the red shadows to the right.
    The blue shadows are the flash white balance showing up where no light falls from the orange sodium light.
    Your flash will have illuminated it enough to give it a light grey cast, which appears blue in contrast to the orange.
    The orange shadow to the right is because the lighter orange appearance everywhere else is the mixture of flash and Na line emissions from the lights. No flash, more orange.

You can see the difference in the histograms.
    3 widely spaced colour peaks, streetlight; all colours same intensity, flash.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Sorry GB1, in the second one I find the branches in the foreground in front of the monument distracting. The tree is fine. Thanks Paul for the lesson in histos. Nice
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

Thks also Paul. I need to read up on this histogram stuff and finally understand it!

Greg, I mistakenly said # 2, I meant to say # 1. Yeah that branch in #2 is sort of awkwardly located - for a minute I actually thought about breaking the branches in some of the shots as there was nobody there except me at that pt...

My Site

Thread Information