Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    GB1

Early Morning at JT

Sunrise at Joshua Tree. I personally find these shots lacking, though am not sure why, maybe not a strong enough composition? Your C&Cs are welcome.

G

Fuji Velvia film,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Early Morning at JT-jt6_px640.jpg   Early Morning at JT-jt7_px640.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Early Morning at JT

I would have to agree with what you said that your pictures lack competition. For me its more of lacking life and spark but all in all both are really okay not just something extraordinary.
    I've taken every step in my life with appreciation that i may never pass this way again. Document memories with a camera on hand

So that is hat velvia looks like! Awesome colours!

I'm not sure what else you could have done about composition, other than take a different shot. I think you have one well.
    danic

George Zimbel: Digital diahhrea is a disease for which there is a simple cure. Take one frame of a scene. It is exquisite training for your eye and your brain. Try it for a month. Then try it for another month…then try it for another month…..

RedBubble

Call me crazy but I like these photos. (We don't have trees/cacti/plants/whatever like that around here so the subject, in itself, becomes very interesting.) I like the shape and the bend in the tree. I also like the composition -- I prefer the shot with only one large tree. Suggestions: the colors are already very striking but, if you have Photoshop, you might try adding a bit of saturation to make the colors come alive. You might also try sharpening a bit. Be careful, over-saturating and over-sharpening can add some nasty pixelation (you probably already know that). Nice work.

i like the first one a lot. i don't think it lacks of composition. to me it looks like two monsters with some kind of fur. funny shot. the second shot does not attract me much though, but this could be a matter of taste.

I like them. i love the colors and the Silhouette. But thats just my opinion.
    Army

GB1

Shutters - I actually located this spot the night before and got there in plenty enough time before sunrise to find the right composition, but I just didn't discover any ideal spots. Mildly disappointing, but its a big park - there's always next time

danic - Thks, yeah that's Velvia .. Digital has come a long ways for sure, but I still prefer Velvia for powerful color, and Kodachrome for accurate colors and people shots. If you have a film camera lying around, try that Velvia!

That being said, don't know what type of digital camera you have but several of them have a saturated rgb color space that comes pretty close.

freedom1500 - Thanks. Funny but I actually think I desaturated one of them a tad, thought it was just strange looking You're right, I didn't sharpen them, guess I felt they weren't worth it. You have got to see the desert one of these days, there's really a lot of photo ops out there.

Engineer - monsters? Ha.. well to me it looks like two Yield signs. I agree on # 2, it could have been good, but...

Thks AW - Silhouette and color is all you have to work with in situations like this. They aren't terrible but I've gotten better images. At least it wasn't completely clouded over (that's happened).

Gb

My Site

I like the colors. The Velvia is nice. I need to try some. I like the second one best but the tree hanging out of the frame on the right is distracting.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I like the silhouette shot. Joshua Tree is awesome, and I really enjoyed your series of shots from there.

GB1

Thks Greg and bindows. I picked up the last batch of slides tonight and will post a few more JT shots soon.

Stay tuned,

G

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Sunrise at Joshua Tree. I personally find these shots lacking, though am not sure why, maybe not a strong enough composition?
    Colors and composition.

MB1

I'm thinking a little fill flash to give some texture to the closer Joshua Trees in the second image would make it pop a bunch.
    No, I DON'T need that.

I find something lacking too, the sky makes a great background, but maybe I want to see some more ground in the background. I too can't really put my finger on it. Maybe the sky is just a little lacking because the clouds are so far behind the subject?? I think maybe in the first one I would like to see more of the bases of the trees, it bugs me that the silhouette obviously continues below where it disappears into the background.

I had a lot of trouble getting anything I liked when I lived in the Antelope Valley for a year. I could never compose the Joshua Trees in a way that I liked. The year I lived there the rainfall wasn't right and the poppies and other wildflowers never bloomed. I hope you get a great wildflower crop this year, and I can't wait to see the photos.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

nice color GB, I like it. hey Gb maybe the crop is to tight just the thought I guess

Thread Information