Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Early Morning

Just Lurking

Early Morning

I was heading to work the other morning and saw these wonderful storm clouds coming in, but with some nice sunlight underneath so I had to take a few shots. I know that some will say they're a little bold, but I like bold so I apologize in advance.

What do you think? Any critiques about what could make them work better? I realize the tree isn't the best subject, but it's the closest thing that I could find before the sun was completely up.

PC

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Early Morning

I don't get why you would apologize for bold but if you feel you must then I must apologize for liking them and really especially the last one. I think the tree and fence post with rising sun just behind but still coming through and the light on the grass are perfect. Great composition imo.
    I don't think the third one works not sure why. Too much foreground for one.
    The second is good but I wish the main tree were on the far left. I don't think cropping to do so would work.
    I like the exposure on the first and the beautiful sunrise colors backlighting the sign seem appropriate
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

There is not a bad one in the lot PC. Bold is your style and it suits you well. Nice work on them all. The sky is awesome. The hotel sign and the last one are my favorites.....
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Landscape photographers spend years looking for conditions like those in your photo. Bold sky is good! Although I am not a fan of silhouettes I like them all, I think #3 has great potential as an HDR image, if you shot it in RAW. #4 works great as a silhouette. Nice work.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Just Lurking

Frog, Greg, and EOS - Thanks for the comments. These were all shot in RAW so doing a little to bring out the foreground might be possible. I have a different version of the last one where I lightened up the grass at the base of the tree and I think it helps somewhat.

Thanks again,

PC

In my opinion, if you're going to shoot skies, go BOLD. Otherwise, it's just another sky shot. All your photos are good but I like number 2 because it has the nicest (boldest) sky, best colors and I enjoy the roller coaster horizon than rolls across the image. Nice catch.

GB1

PC

Agreed - powerful colors here. They kind of overwhelm me in a sense. Are they real?

I think the tree is an OK subject but that the sign is much, much better. I might of backed off and gotten the entire sign in the shot (don't know if you did that purposely, so to crop out some obstruction). The bottom shot, I think a crop of the trunk and pole area would be an interesting photo in itself.

Gb
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

I really like number 2 and 3...I have been after a photo like that for the past few weeks and I can appreciate the effort and composition...I love the bold colors and the saturation works for me....
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Beautiful images! My favorite, by far, is #2. The tree is a perfect subject for that image. My only input on that one would be to have shot it even more agressively - a little less ground on the bottom and moving the main tree over to the left some more (as Frog mentioned). That inclined hill on the right works perfectly and I wish I could see more of that along with more sky.

Great work.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Just Lurking

Freedom - Thank you for commenting. I was having a hard time deciding between portrait and landscape format here so I did both. I'm glad you like the landscape version. I'm probably going to use this as my desktop for a while.

GB - The colors are mostly real - I boosted the saturation a little (surprisingly not too much), but I didn't add anything that wasn't already there. I also like the sign as a better subject and would have like to include more, but there was a truck parked immediately below the frame of the picture and it didn't do anything for the picture. Likewise there were a bunch of powerlines around there that seemed more distracting than appealing.

jgredline - Thanks for your comments as well. I'm going to have to identify a better subject just in case I run into this situation again. I'm hoping that we have at least a couple more days like this before we lapse into the hazy days of summer that are more common around here.

Thanks again,

PC

MB1

The second and last images are the ones for me. I'm not moved by the neon sign in #1.

#2-I like how much sky there is in relation to the ground and the landscape foremat gives this image a lot more silhoutted trees than the portrait format of #3.

#4-Great sky colors and a great variety of silhouettes everywhere.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Love My D80

I like them all. My favorite one is the second one. I just saw the same conditions in the morning here in Pasadena, but I did not get my camera out. I envy you for getting such beautiful cloud formations during sunrise. I wanted to capture a sunset last saturday in Santa Monica beach, but the approaching storm changed my plans. It looks like I missed the beautiful sky twice already.
    Jorge I Rodriguez

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jorger101
    I like them all. My favorite one is the second one. I just saw the same conditions in the morning here in Pasadena, but I did not get my camera out. I envy you for getting such beautiful cloud formations during sunrise. I wanted to capture a sunset last saturday in Santa Monica beach, but the approaching storm changed my plans. It looks like I missed the beautiful sky twice already.
    Oh my goodness, this is so funny, because I too headed out to Santa Monica for the very same reason and turned back...Sorry for high jacking the thread,,:blush2:
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

I love the second and fourth pictures. I love the bold colors. i would take them as a series and blow them up and hang on a wall. but i guess if you did that with every great shot you get then you dont need any wallpaper :P. This would definatly be a great series.
    Army

Just Lurking

Loupey - Thanks for the input. I'm afraid I don't have any that are framed quite in the way you describe so I'll have to remember that for next time.

MB - Thanks. It seems like the landscape version is more popular than the portrait version. I'm glad I took both and it's something I learned in the past in this forum. When possible, shoot both!

jorger101 - I know the feeling really well. I almost didn't get these shots because I was on my way to work. I debated it briefly with myself, but then I figured I could get into the office a little late and I think it was worth it. Sometimes you just got to get some shots.

armywife1984 - Thanks for commenting and the suggestion on the series. I don't usually print too many of my shots, but I may print one of these. Does anyone have any input on whether these would work with metallic prints?

I appreciate all the great feedback and comments.

Thanks!

PC

Thread Information