Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragon

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Dragon

Comments and critiques welcomed - suggestions cheerfully explored, but please leave the editing to me.
    :thumbsup:

C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

MB1

Re: Dragon

Fun.

I'm thinking a slightly tighter crop, more contrast and saturation.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Fun.

I'm thinking a slightly tighter crop, more contrast and saturation.
    Neat! You mean from the top only or from the top and bottom?
    Asheville Photographer

MB1

Quote Originally Posted by CLKunst
    Neat! You mean from the top only or from the top and bottom?
    Top and sides.

You might not end up that way but I think a square format might work here.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Very cool, Cindy. I like this alot. A crop as MB1 suggest would work, but I like what you have here. All I could suggest is upping the contrast a bit with a generous S-curve in your curves tool.
    great!
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Top and sides. You might not end up that way but I think a square format might work here.
    I like the tighter crop MB, didn't go for a square though as I really like the "whiskers" coming off of the face, but I definitely think it makes the neck look longer.

All I could suggest is upping the contrast a bit with a generous S-curve in your curves tool.
    Thanks Gary! I did bulk up the contrast with this one. Glad you think it's !

Asheville Photographer

I like the second one but agree nothing wrong with the first one. Nice work
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks Greg! Glad it works for you, I'm always glad to get your input. :thumbsup:
    Asheville Photographer

I don't think this needs any cropping at all; if anything I feel it is a little tight L and R. The extra contrast you have added improves a very good shot that little bit more.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Cool shot!

Any backstory on this image?
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

I don't think this needs any cropping at all; if anything I feel it is a little tight L and R. The extra contrast you have added improves a very good shot that little bit more.
    Tom! I haven't heard from you since I posted my Foamhenge image! I hope all is well. Thanks for weighing in on this one. I'm having fun with the suggestions I've gotten so far. Input = Inspiration :thumbsup: I've padded in some space to loosen the frame. Does this let it breath?

Cool shot! Any backstory on this image?
    Hi Dumpy!

I am so glad you asked because actually there is!

I was in my kitchen late the other night washing up when I heard a noise coming from the backyard. It was a dragon who had only that morning eaten an entire train full of people. Naturally that gave this very same dragon a nasty case of indigestion. When I found him he was suffering from a near terminal case of hiccups, (which if you think about it could be very bad news if you breath fire) and I told him he could have an antacid and an Alka Seltzer if he let me take his picture and promised never to eat trains or people ever again.

Actually this is one of my mirrored images that I like to post now and again although I really did find it in my backyard fire pit. Sometimes I multiply and invert by two sometimes by larger factors. It depends on the pattern and what I'm going for. This little guy came screaming out and I thought it would be fun to post. Here is the original photo for reference. Basically I just keep flipping them around until I find something interesting.

Asheville Photographer

Nice effect, very imaginative!

Tom! I haven't heard from you since I posted my Foamhenge image! I hope all is well. Thanks for weighing in on this one. I'm having fun with the suggestions I've gotten so far. Input = Inspiration I've padded in some space to loosen the frame. Does this let it breath?

Thanks Cindy; all is well. I have been away doing a bit of galivanting for just over a month and before that maybe I was just not very active on the board. Hope all is well with you and family.
    I like the space around the image here but now that it is there I feel I want the same space at the bottom. But it is a fun and interesting result you have come up with.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'm having fun with the suggestions I've gotten so far.
    I'm enjoying the images, the original that the dragon was made from is a terrific firebird !
    I have trouble seeing the possibilities of the rotation, reflection, copy, and the resulting image.

I agree with the extra space around the flames, I think it'll need a dark matte for mounting too.
    I can see these as prints hung large, they're very good.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Very Nice Cindy. By mirroring part of the original horizontally you can find a close relative of this guy.
    ----------------------------

GB1

Cindy - This is a neat shot alright... not sure how you did it (I haven't read the trail yet) but it seems like a great accomplishment in itself. I did read MB's comment and agree that some sort of editing is warranted, but I am not sure if cropping alone is all it needs: perhaps a fancy border, or some text in the foreground, or ..? Maybe a different color thrown in there too. Mix it up.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Cindy,

Nice shooting, why the crop? I think there is very little wrong with the original other than a contrast boost. I think the cropped version is too tight.

I love the colours and the fact that you can see the eyes. I would possibly select the eyes and sharpen them up before printing to make them stand out more.

Come on, admit it, this is a self portrait when hubby upset you :lol:

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Ack! See what happens when you leave for a few days? Thanks very much for all of the great responses!!!

itsmejas - Thanks!

Tom - Thanks again for the great suggestions! It's something to fiddle with but has been overall fun to play with. The family and I are all very well thanks! Having fun and running from the camera. I've been traveling and busy lately too and it's hard to keep up with every wonderful photo on the board. Thanks for stopping by! :biggrin5:

Wombat - Glad you are enjoying them too! Yes, I see the firebird, it was originally what I thought I was going for too. Will have to see if any further flippings can bring that result. I was very surprised to find Mu Shu the Dragon staring back at me though. I agree about your suggestions for framing and finishing. Bigger is always better with these and are intended to be no smaller than 20x30.

Chunk!!! - I am so glad to hear from you again! Thought you might have forsaken the camera for the brush entirely. I'm always glad to hear your thoughts. And please feel free to show me the crop, I'd love to see what you see.

GB - Thanks! Just playing in the backyard fire pit really. Maybe I should put it on a plain black mat and then go after my own hand decorated dragons around the border in metallic Red Gold and Silver paint. Oooh I think I'm getting an idea!! Thanks Greg!

Roger -
    Nice shooting, why the crop? I think there is very little wrong with the original other than a contrast boost. I think the cropped version is too tight.
    Just going with the flow really and playing with suggestions which is often how I bust out of my rut and get inspired.
    I love the colours and the fact that you can see the eyes. I would possibly select the eyes and sharpen them up before printing to make them stand out more.
    Me too and I feel the same way, I will definitely be sharpening and refining the eyes.
    Come on, admit it, this is a self portrait when hubby upset you
    Not this time ~ although my husband might think so ~ I have been known to breathe fire when provoked. :ihih: :devil:
    Asheville Photographer

Wow, that's wonderful. How'd you do that?
    myTechpad <my blog

Again I late to the party, not much more I can add,but still I wanted to drop this line to praise your stunning piece of art.

Well done.

Many thanks for the kind words nic and Tony! I appreciate the support.

nic - I briefly sketched out the process earlier in the thread. Basically I take a photo, duplicate and mirror it to different sides of itself until I come up with something interesting I like. Kind of like a Rorschach ink blot test like they use for psychological tests. I call them Radiant photos but that's just my own expression, I assume there's a more technical term out there like "inverted tessellation" or something but this is what I came up with to describe it.
    Asheville Photographer

Cindy, I like the look of the space around the image. More at the bottom as suggested would surely look great.
    As Paul says, this would look spectacular printed very large.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Chunk!!! - I am so glad to hear from you again! Thought you might have forsaken the camera for the brush entirely. I'm always glad to hear your thoughts. And please feel free to show me the crop, I'd love to see what you see.
    Here's what I was thinking. I thought it might be Mu Shu's cousin or spouse...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dragon-01.jpg  
    ----------------------------

Fun Chunk! She's peeking over the frame ~ but smiling!
    Asheville Photographer

Gary -

Here's one where I've tried again to address the framing:

Click Photo for gallery link and larger view

And here is the full flip out because Chunk's flip reminded me that I hadn't checked the inverse image which turned out to be some kind of weird water horse looking creature.

Click Photo for gallery link and larger view

Great inspiration on these all around! Thanks so much everyone!:thumbsup:
    Asheville Photographer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information