Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Downtown Details

Mural on the Landmark Hotel (Main Street)

Street Lamps on Main Street

Food Court on Saturday

Fort Garry Hotel Roofline
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Downtown Details-hotelmuralsm.jpg   Downtown Details-streetlitesm.jpg   Downtown Details-foodcourtbwsm.jpg   Downtown Details-rooftopsm.jpg  

MB1

Re: Downtown Details

You would have to post 4 images........

From the top;
    1) I love the color and although the light pole and bare tree sort of block the mural they also add some urban clutter that fits in well and adds a sense of place. I also like the rements of an older sign/mural at the top of the image. I think you cropped this one just right.

2) Way too dark on my monitor at work, I bet it would look better on my MAC at home.

3) Nice urban lonely grit in this image but the darn thing is crooked and that is driving me NUTS!?!

4) I can't decide if I like the tree branches in this one or not. They make it an unusual image but they also may be the thing that keeps this one from being a really nice shot.

Overall I like the first one the best although #4 has potential.
    No, I DON'T need that.

GB1

Don

#s 1 and 4 are interesting, though both have flaws. I find the tree in the way on the top one and unfortunately in a bad way. Chop it down. The bottom shot, I like the idea of the spot color but somehow it doesn't seem to completely work in this scene. The smoke is too washed out here and the blue tint in the rest of the image, hmm... not sure why it's like that, but it looks more like a mistake than artistic to me (though note that blue and red are complementary colors, so in theory that should work......). I see you're taking heed of oversharpening, cause these look fine in that respect (besides # 3, but that looks OK except for the severe tilt).
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I don't know about the rest but I really like the third one and believe the tilt gives it flavor.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Don,

I really like the grittyness of the food court nice work.

The mural is nice - did you think of trying a similar thing to Tuna's lamp post and splitting the mural in half with the lamp post, it might work. Try leaving a tad more room at the top of the lamp.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thanks guys.

Thread Information