Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

The pain of taking these photos....

Well,

After snowing approx. 6-8 inches here, I took out to some of the local trails for some good shots. To be honest, nothing turned out amazingly great from what I had expected, yet the story is atleast worth telling. Trying to get a good shot, I took a trail up to the top of a gully, probably 80-90 down to the bottom of it. Well, once I make it to the top, I decide to try to take a shot down the trail. Well, lo' and behold, my footing slips and I end up sliding down the gully for about 20 feet with the camera on tripod in my hands. Thankfully, I hit a tree before anything serious happened and all my gear was fine! Well, out of that whole experience and 20 minutes of getting out of the gully this is all I got for decent shots. All critiques/comments are highly appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks,
    Jared
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The pain of taking these photos....-dscf0447resized.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: The pain of taking these photos....

Glad to hear you and your gear escaped any serious harm/damage. I like both shots simply because I appreciate hiking through the woods after a fresh snowfall. I've always found in my case that what appeals to the eye on a hiking trail after it has snowed is somehow linked to more than the visual senses and photos, mine atleast, rarely do justice to the sight.

In my newbie'ish experience I can only suggest tweaking the levels to give the images a bit more depth and maybe even a color balance tweak.

Snow bound pics, from my limited experience are best done during morning or dusk when objects cast long shadows and the sun casts colors which tint areas of the snow.

Bridge is my favorite picture by the way.. cheers.
    "You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it. ~Author Unknown"
    PAULSVEDA.com
    My Blog

Thanks for the comments Paul! I agree the lighting at dusk or dawn is best, but unfortunately it very overcast and wasn't much help. Thanks for the advice on the levels! Also, I absoluetly LOVE your website by the way, great pictures and excellent design!

Thanks for the comments,

Jared

The pictures are very average and not very impressive... Just very simple shots...

Don't take amiss, I'm now just declaring that we all should upload only succeeded photos, because the forum and now is overloaded.

But the thing I liked was your story I also go to trips when weather conditions change suddenly into the photo-friendly ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohan
    The pictures are very average and not very impressive... Just very simple shots...
    But the thing I liked was your story I also go to trips when weather conditions change suddenly into the photo-friendly ones.
    Well, atleast you liked one thing No no, no worries at all. I put my pictures up to be critiqued and that's what I expect. Yes, they're not amazing shots, but I find joy in them anyways. No problem at all though!

Thanks,

Jared

Thread Information