Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

View Poll Results: Which do you like better?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • With the spring/water

3 25.00%
  • Just the posts

9 75.00%

Thread: Dock

Dock

I'd like your choices and opinions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dock-05.jpg   Dock-06.jpg  
    ----------------------------

New York State Of Mind. J-Dogg Productions's Avatar

Re: Dock

i like the second one its more detailed you can see the sparkle of the snow and it looks cleaner.
    jay
    J.Curreri

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Hey Chunk,

I voted for just the posts. I think they are both interesting shots, but I like the post alone better. To be honest, I would have never guessed that this was a dock, with or without the water, but the post by themselves makes me really wonder what they are and makes me want to keep looking to figure it out.

I also like how you were able to keep the detail in the snow in both pics.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Second shot. The inclusion of half the water area in the first looks wrong to me. the first with just the posts out of the snow is very interesting , simple and pleasing to look at. The inclusion of the little pole in the distance looks as if he has left or has come to march with the pack
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Well... if i'm gonna say how i see it.... in my sometimes-freaky mind... this is what i saw:

In the first (which i prefer), it feels that the poles are an interesting "stick-figure" species, standing in line to drink from the only available source or water, as for the small guy... well he's been ditched to the side so that the big guys drink first....

Ok... back to reality for a second... I love the first because it makes sense....it tells a story... my story, your story, anybody's story... It leads the eye to the water or away from it, pending on the viewer.... Adding the poll, pretty much says you know they are technically great...and are looking for the emotional side of things....

So yeah...I'll go with the first!
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Chunk,
    This is hard choice because I like both for different reasons.

When I fisrt looked I saw the foriegn legion soldiers coming back from an arduous trek in the desert all dying of thirst and the lead group have started the run to the water, with the sargent major on the right trying to keep order in the ranks. (Am I sad or what?)

The second I like because of the detail in the snow and the random pattern of the poles in the snow with the shadows adding a complementary pattern to the poles and the simplicity of it.

So I think the voting needs to include both otherwise I will not vote so there.

I just read the other posts Mark - glad to see I'm not the only sad person.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

hahaha.... why sad?? i think we could be diagnosed with accute multiple-personality disorder... very emotional people.... imagination through emotion...

Nicely seen shots... ;)

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to vote and especially to those who explained things.
    This felt like a good shot when I spotted it while driving onto a narrow peninsula where the Rock River enters Lake Koshkonong. My uncle owned one of the shacks that lined the riverfront along a mile or so of road there and I like to drive down it once in a while as much for the memories as for the the photo ops that seem to occur where land meets water.
    I'm glad I stopped on the way back out to take these shots. I hadn't noticed the open water until I stopped.
    I like the horizontal element of the water in the first shot and like including natural forms like the grass as a counterpoint to the stark, angular man made subjects but have to agree with most of you that the simpler, minimalist second shot is probably the stronger of the two.
    ----------------------------

I love the second one.

I would, however, edit out the lonely pole in the upper right corner.
    http://www.dmbforums.com

Thread Information