Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Dock

Dock

This is on Catalina Island, California, USA.

Canon EOS 30D
    Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/320Sec.
    Av(Aperture Value)F11
    Evaluative metering
    ISO Speed 200
    Lens EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    Focal Length 55.0 mm

Opinions? Thanks in advance....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dock-img_2412_w640.jpg  
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

dude, its just like star wars... nobody242424's Avatar

Re: Dock

im jsut a beginner so i dont know much, but i love catalina island and that picture takes me back there, very nice

Quote Originally Posted by nobody242424
    im jsut a beginner so i dont know much, but i love catalina island and that picture takes me back there, very nice
    Thanks. It was a really nice day with clouds and perfect temperature. Catalina is agreat place for photography.

Don't hesitate to post and critique others around here. It's part of the learning experience.

Thanks again.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

I'm starting to really like this photo that I may want to print and frame this one. Before I do, I would like some critique on it from the the PR community.

I did minor post on this with PS7 like saturation....was it effective?

Critique (good or bad) would be really appreciated. Thanks!
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

I like this photo! The only thing I may have done a little different was I may have punched up the colors just a hair more. The comp. is wonderful though. Nice work!

drg

You have chosen a nice setting to photograph. The dock and pier could be brought out some to add to the scene with selective contrast (or a simple select and brighten) adjustment.

The scene as it is a water/sea scape I believe needs more water and less sky. A balance of the three elements, pier, sky, and water (they shouldn't be perfectly balanced) would just increase the appeal of the image.

You have a nice subject and chose a very appropriate vantage point. This scene is one that if you made a study of it (several images framed and exposed slightly differently and even different time of the day) has great potiential to be a very fine photograph.

If you do spend some time doing this shoot RAW and you'll have lots of room for adjustment to all the color balance and contrast.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

This is a beautifully composed picture of a wonderful looking region! Consider buying a polaroid filter. This will saturate the colours more and make the sky a magnificent deep blue!

Quote Originally Posted by gomm
    This is a beautifully composed picture of a wonderful looking region! Consider buying a polaroid filter. This will saturate the colours more and make the sky a magnificent deep blue!
    Thank you. I was actually going to start investigating what filters I should have in my bag based on the type of photography I find myself doing. I just don't understand how people have different filters for different lens diameters. I know there are adaptors so I'll check it out. Thanks again.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Blair01
    I like this photo! The only thing I may have done a little different was I may have punched up the colors just a hair more. The comp. is wonderful though. Nice work!
    Thanks. I did add saturation to it but I'll see what else I can do.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    You have chosen a nice setting to photograph. The dock and pier could be brought out some to add to the scene with selective contrast (or a simple select and brighten) adjustment.
    I had a feeling I may have to. Masking the two will be a challenge for my level of PS experience.

The scene as it is a water/sea scape I believe needs more water and less sky. A balance of the three elements, pier, sky, and water (they shouldn't be perfectly balanced) would just increase the appeal of the image.
    Makes sense. Unfortunately, included not much more water than what you see here now. Hopefully next time.

You have a nice subject and chose a very appropriate vantage point. This scene is one that if you made a study of it (several images framed and exposed slightly differently and even different time of the day) has great potiential to be a very fine photograph.

If you do spend some time doing this shoot RAW and you'll have lots of room for adjustment to all the color balance and contrast.
    When I do go back to Catalina, it will be strictly be for personal photography. I was there to do other things and didn't get to take more personal shots.

I haven't shot RAW in a long time after realizing I still need to understand how to process it correctly. Plus, I don't have enought memory cards to shoot raw. I'll run out of space quickly.

Thanks so much for your post DRG!
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

I like this shot other than the way the horizon looks. Is this the way the shot came out or have you adjusted for the horizon, it just looks off. It would appear that you have the pier level when in fact it should be rising as it goes out. The building and polls look off.

Jim
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=7705
    Canon 1D Mark IIn
    Canon 40D w/ Vertical Grip
    Canon 300 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
    Canon 1.4 TC
    580Ex
    Monopod

Thread Information