Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Do you 'twirl' often?

A local city image taken on 7 February 2004.

Camera: Nikon N8008s.
    Lens: AF 50mm f1.8 Nikkor.
    Film: Kodak Gold 100.

27 degrees of the 'Twirl' filter applied in Photoshop LE.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you 'twirl' often?-00_o_03_n8008s_50mm_ko100_7feb04_stairs-2-twirl-27deg-u514c.jpg  

Well I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish / whether it suits a client's design, but in general, I don't do anything to my photos that would cause someone to say "did you use Photoshop"?

To me, the best Photoshopped images are the ones where everything has been perfected just so, and yet the large majority of viewers wouldn't even notice. Obviously though, if you're in a fine arts class or you want an image to have your "artistic stamp" on them (beyond how you composed the original), then what you have done is interesting and worth investigating from one shoot to the next.

Still, I tend to prefer making precise selections and using Curves and such to make my "artsy" stuf, vs. say any given fitler. I will admit that I like some of the "glassy" effects that certain filters can make, but I don't use them often.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

It does look neat and is fun but I don't do much with the distortion type stuff. The picture was a good one to work with. You did a good job of exposure and composing. The great thing about this type of thing is that it's what you like to do, so keep it up. I think you did a good job of not overdoing the effect. That seems to be what most people do, probably because they don't do it much (including me). Keep at it and have fun!
    Lou

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." -Ansel Adams

Thread Information