Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Do you know what it is yet?

Any comments on the photo?

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you know what it is yet?-_rw_4451-640.jpg  
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Re: Do you know what it is yet?

A very large safe locking mechanism? lol
    Jared

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." - Abraham Lincoln

Do you know what it is yet?
    Yes Roger; It's a very good clean shot of the steel.
    Not part of an old steam train put in portrait mode by any chance?
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Door of an autoclave?
    yoyo

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

It looks recently made/overhauled with new bearing blocks at the end of the shafts.
    But it could be steam engine valve gear.
    Actually the more I look at it that's what I think it is.
    It's three actuators for valves.

I can see two scoggans (got to be a cornish word that!) and there may be one on the far end of the top shaft.
    I remember a discussion of these engines and the continuous manual operation needed, to the point where the engine minder's seat was a commode.
    The story was that a lazy (but bright) engine minder tied the handles with ropes to make his life esier, and eventually worked out an automatic process to run the engine
    I'm not sure I believe that
    I'd favour pure economics and the reliability of automation added to the saving of a salary for the engine operator

http://www.cruquiusmuseum.nl/valvegear3d.htm
    http://www.cruquiusmuseum.nl/kloswerkhans.jpg
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    It looks recently made/overhauled with new bearing blocks at the end of the shafts.
    But it could be steam engine valve gear.
    Actually the more I look at it that's what I think it is.
    It's three actuators for valves.

I can see two scoggans (got to be a cornish word that!) and there may be one on the far end of the top shaft.
    I remember a discussion of these engines and the continuous manual operation needed, to the point where the engine minder's seat was a commode.
    The story was that a lazy (but bright) engine minder tied the handles with ropes to make his life esier, and eventually worked out an automatic process to run the engine
    I'm not sure I believe that
    I'd favour pure economics and the reliability of automation added to the saving of a salary for the engine operator

http://www.cruquiusmuseum.nl/valvegear3d.htm
    http://www.cruquiusmuseum.nl/kloswerkhans.jpg
    Paul thanks for the links

This is the scoggans from the Harvey of Hayle 1864 Beam engine at Crofton which is down the road from Hungerford. As you said it can either be operated manually or in automatic mode on this particular engine.

The steam engine is a working engine on Bank Holidays and was built to bring a head of water up to the highest point of the Kenet and Avon Canal which necessitates raising water some 40ft from the highest water table in the area. The engine lifts some 6.5 tons on each stroke. The engine spans 4 floors of the building its in.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information