Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Do Not Enter . . .

Double Exposure in camera. fuji Provia 100
    I'm thinking of using it as an opening image in a series based on Dire images Dire Straits? or something
    What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do Not Enter . . .-0605-2420bxweb.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Do Not Enter . . .

I think it's a fabulous image, without the moon...................................

..........crisp, brilliant colour and composition

cheers
    anew.

Good idea, well lit and all. The moon has alot of artifacts around it though on my monitor, it almost looks like there's another circle around the moon.

Come to think of it, there's alot of artifacts every, might just be the compression. The idea though I like and the foreground is perfectly lit I think.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Not Really (Senior Member) ShotsbyScott's Avatar

Nice image Gary! I had a similar idea the other day. I would like to see you use it in your series.
    I was going to set up across the street corner from a "WALK/DON'T WALK" sign. And leave the shutter open long enough to, maybe, get both signs with some blurred images walking past.
    Just a thought!
    BTW, the image looks great on my monitor.

Scott

Do you have any bad ideas??
    I think the pictures great and I like the overall feel that the moon adds with that wonderful sky. I might try putting a little color in the moon to heighten the brooding feel. Both exposures were really well done.

Are all the photos in the series going to be double exposures? If so, you might consider putting 'Double' in your series name, something like "Double Dire". In these days of easy Out of camera combination photos, I think you should stress that double exposure aspect.
    ----------------------------

As was already stated, do you ever do anything "bad"? If you have, you hide them all from us. Nice work, again

Gary
    I love the composition here, the sign tilting towards the moon and replicating shape (the red circle and moon circle) make it interesting.
    The motion light trails from the autos behind and the arrows work well together.
    The lighting is nice- and your color looks crisp.
    Very cool concept here.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

WOW Gary..
    There is a lot going on with this photograph!
    I love the lines.
    You have the lines of the cars that seem to flow left to right but then you have the painted arrows that flow right to left.
    The colors are reaqlly good! They are crisp, but don't seem exagerated.
    I like how the sign is pointing at the moon, it creates a litle tension.
    Tell us more about this song? What inspired you to do this? I have had thoughts of doing something similiar.
    Brian
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 07-20-2005 at 08:37 AM. Reason: What Song??
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

This image needs no critique. All I can really say is that you blow me away Gary.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

GB1

The composition is awesome. I like the way the sign is tilted -- very artistic, much more so than if it were standing up straight.

The Do Not Enter sign could be used in a lot of situations

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Double Exposure in camera. fuji Provia 100
    I'm thinking of using it as an opening image in a series based on Dire images Dire Straits? or something
    What do you think?
    Someone made the comment on another person's critique that he/she had come a long way since joining the forum and I find myself thinking that way as a I look at this. Perhaps it is that your newer work resonates with me more, but the older - mostly black and white stuff I remember doesn't quite hold up to this and the cans.

This photo is so graphic -- almost like you built it in an illustration program -- and I think that is a strenght and weakness. It is bold and eye-catching and it sems like there is some sort of symbolism, but it may be a little too graphically-oriented for people to really realte to ina warm puppy sort of way. Hope that makes sense.

I really like this one, the lighting, the sky, the moon, the sign...just awesome.

very well composed
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

anew . . .do you mean you would prefer the image without the moon? Thanks for your thought on this.

Liban . . .I also notice some artifacts all around, and yes, there is heavy compression going on here. my connection is slow and so I try to upload small files also so they can't be used for much anything else. This started out as a 60mb file (128 mb before i reduced it to a 8 bit color depth) and is now 30 kb! I normally do not get such artifacts, but I had to continue reducing this particuliar file as it would not upload for some reason. I find that happens alot with images that are dark or have lots of black areas in it. thnks for the comments.

Scott . . .that sounds like a great idea, that should work very well. share it with us when You have it. thanks for your thoughts

Chunk . . .Yes!! many bad shots and ideas. But if I "know" a shot is bad I won't post it as I don't need anyone else telling me it's bad as well! I post what i feel I think are good takes or shots that I am not sure about one way or the other. The forum is such a great source of unbiased critique and suggestions. There have been shots i felt were very good that recieved much critique and suggestions for improvemnt and then shots that i were not so sure about that went over great. The feedback and suggestions from the members here have been the best source for learning and improvement
    I like your idea , Chunk. Dire scenes of double exposures. . .Double Dire. I also agree that stating that these are DE is important in this day of quick digital compositions. As always, thanks for your great input.

Payn817 . . .absolutely. . they are stored in the Archive de la Garbage. Thanks for your time, much appreciated.

Rebekah . . .some points about the pic you bring up are interesting . .like the round shapes of the moon and the red circle in the sign. I'm happy to know your feelings on it and that it works for you. Thanks much

Brian . . .your detailed analyisis is great, and the tilting sign creating tension somewhat is what caught my eye as it went well with it's wording. Not sure what you mean by "song" other than my title for the series being Dire straits which was the name of a band. Not sure why i want to do a series like this, but have always found the dark side of things interesting and appealing to a certain degree. . .as I think most of us do as there are many series already out there of this sort. would love to see yours when you get it going. The Holga would really play well on a series of photos of that type.

Almo . ., a huge compliment indeed. . .brings me much encouragement. thanks for the sentiment

GB1 . . .I had to ram the sign with my car a few times to get it to tilt as I wanted. . . I was actually shooting the moon over the ocean, which was behind me for the photo "And No One was There . . ." when I turned around and the sign leaning just captured my attention. thanks for your feedback

LL . . . .yes, that makes sense to me. Thats a very interesting analysis. Do you mean that it looks good technically but seems to lack mood or feel? and thank you for the good words in the first half of your post.

Mr.Yuck . . .always happy to hear when it's working thanks for your time to comment.

gary

Hi Gary,

I think this photo is absolutely brilliant, and i can't personally get enough of night photography myself (especially of road interest), and do a lot of work in that type of vein, through photography and painting etc.

The thing is, i personally am not a huge fan of double exposure, and although this is exquisitely worked here, i feel a certain unnatural uneasiness about the whole thing.

Basically, for me, the moon intrudes on the picture as a whole, and takes away somewhat from the beautiful colour of the sign, and light trails, etc. I also feel there would be more of an edginess to the picture without the light of the moon in the background.

hope some of this makes sense.

cheers
    anew.

oh, by the way, were you breaking the law when you took the pic!! ;)

Hi Gary,
    Interesting shot! I like the inclined pole pointing the moon and the horizontal light trails. The approach is absolutely worthwhile for further shots. Very good.
    yoyo

Damn it!, Damn it!, Damn it!

Gary this is sooooooooh brilliant,

Can you bottle up some of the skills you have and post it to me please.

I am glad from the replies that you seem to bin as much as I do, Its just I don't seem to get the ideas that you get, or the quantity of success, or the quality of your photos. Honour is due my friend.

As for the photo it reminds me more of Bat out of Hell than Dire Straits!
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

anew . . .thanks for clarifying. Yes , i do understand . I do have another shot of this scene without the moon as well, that i also like. As for breaking any laws, I probably did. there are so many laws in the books from politicians and legislators trying to get support to stay in office, that one can't go through a day without violating something or other.

Yoyo. . .glad to know your view on this, thanks

Roger . . .very happy this went over well. Yes , i have a huge trash bin. . .well, i dont' trash most of them but set aside an awful lot. Out of a roll of 36 exp. I'm happy if I get three of four strong images.Thanks alot for your kind words, Roger. . .Cheers!

gary

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Brian . . .your detailed analyisis is great, and the tilting sign creating tension somewhat is what caught my eye as it went well with it's wording. Not sure what you mean by "song" other than my title for the series being Dire straits which was the name of a band. Not sure why i want to do a series like this, but have always found the dark side of things interesting and appealing to a certain degree. . .as I think most of us do as there are many series already out there of this sort. would love to see yours when you get it going. The Holga would really play well on a series of photos of that type.

You Bet Gary!
    I read your refference to Dire Straits wrong, I thouhgt you were talking about one of their songs and and not the name of the band or the idea of dire straits, but I am tracking now!
    You should get a Holga or two! You'd LOVE IT!
    I have posted a lot of new stuff, some of which haven't gotten any comments on...
    Anyway..
    Keep it up! You are on to somemore great photographs!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

With this image, you've gained another level of success in the continuing advancement of abstract-in-the-real leanings you have shown us recently. You're need to structure your images rarely gets in the way of our appreciation and that is true here. The electricity within the silence, all done through the nuances of light, is very nice.

Tuna

As much as I love the sign, and the tilt of the sign (kind of lines it up with the moon)...my favorite part of this is the road. The lines and the colors are so beautiful. I love the red and the white, but I also love that it looks like arrows pointing to the left and contradicting the "do not enter".

Thread Information