Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Direct Sunlight? How to eliminate line?

Does anybody know of a way to eliminate the pink line in the following photograph? I like the blue sky, the sunlight, the dark tree, even the 4 color circles, but this line is driving me crazy!

Thanks for any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening barring not pointing the lens at the sun.

--Nate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct Sunlight? How to eliminate line?-treecolor.jpg  

Re: Direct Sunlight? How to eliminate line?

What were the camera settings? Are you using a filter? Small apertures can increase flare, and so can filters...

I don't know how to put this, but...I'm kind of a big deal...People know me.

My Dumb Web Page

The settings on my D70 for this photo were:

Shutter: 1/1250
    Aperture: F18

I did have a clear UV filter to protect my lens.

---Nate

Yeah, that's a pretty good recipe for flare. The only problem is that with the D70, if you use a larger aperture, you get a high shutter speed, which can result in blooming in shots like this. But I think blooming would be much less of a problem than the flare is, so using a larger aperture and taking that filter off should help a lot.

I don't know how to put this, but...I'm kind of a big deal...People know me.

My Dumb Web Page

Quote Originally Posted by natefromri
    Does anybody know of a way to eliminate the pink line in the following photograph? I like the blue sky, the sunlight, the dark tree, even the 4 color circles, but this line is driving me crazy!
    I like this shot and aree that the other flare is a good thing.

To eliminate the line from this photo, you can use the clone stamp replace the line with nearby sections of the photo. Zoom in so you can see whats going on easily and keep changing your point of origin rather than just painting with it and you won't easily see that the final result is made up of many small samplings in that area. Choose small parts of branches that are at similar angles where the line passes over branches. Keep the point of origin close to what you are replacing so the color is close.
    Here's a quick and dirty shot at it. You can do much better on a larger version by taking a lot more time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Direct Sunlight? How to eliminate line?-03.jpg  

Photographic Lifestyle

My rule is if the object isnt moving and there is no need for a high definition depth of fied, use a slow frame speed. If im doing an image of a crowd.... id try and get a nice depth of field by using as high an low as i can without bluring.

Here you should have slowed the shutter speed right down, the speed is un-necessary for the shot, however this image would look lovely with the right settings, try and grab the whole tree in the frame and retake the shot with the right settings, get the blues nice and strong and the tree sharp. I think its important in some sences to get a nice depth of field on trees, because the branch distance from the lens can vary so much with a tree, using a low apature would mean the form would be sharp.

Keep at it !

Thread Information