Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Did you ......?

Did you ......?

Did you ......?-tic-kets-_1900.jpg

Comments welcome !

That dude with a camera

Re: Did you ......?

I like the colour combination(red, yellow, the blues and the pink) and the fact that the lines are straight.
    I just think that you should crop a little on the right side, to have the yellow block centered.

A very nice street shoot. You put it all together well.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    A very nice street shoot. You put it all together well.
    Do you have any ideas how the photo could be improved? Remember, this is a serious critique forum. Every comment should include some idea about how to improve the photo in question.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

This is a questioning photo, on a few levels. I really like it. I can't stop staring at it and my eye wanders all over, picking up more and more details, wondering about the subject. That traveling eye is the sign of a good composition, in my opinion. It means the lines in the photo keep the eye moving and allow the viewer to explore. The colors are great in this photo, too - strong primary colors, anchoring it all and making that sign really pop.

The one thing I'm not sure about here is the sky. It's an interesting sky but the composition is such that I think the sky overwhelms the main content a bit. If you cropped a bit tighter from the sky and sides I think the image would be much stronger. The current composition also puts the horizon line very near the center of the frame, which is a general no-no. Maybe you have a reason for the composition, though? I'm not 100% that cropping tighter would be better. But I think it's something that should be explored.

Another thing I like in the photo is that the person's back is turned to us. That makes him anonymous and it's easy for the viewer to put their self in the subject's place, waiting. Hopefully, with a ticket. But maybe not?
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Do you have any ideas how the photo could be improved? Remember, this is a serious critique forum. Every comment should include some idea about how to improve the photo in question.
    Sorry John. I'll try and do better...lol
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    Sorry John. I'll try and do better...lol
    Thanks

I hate having to be the critique policeman but this is the one forum where I think it's really important we stay on track. There are too many other galleries and forums where all anyone does is pat each other on the back. We need to make sure that doesn't happen here.

Thanks for being a good sport
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    The one thing I'm not sure about here is the sky. It's an interesting sky but the composition is such that I think the sky overwhelms the main content a bit. If you cropped a bit tighter from the sky and sides I think the image would be much stronger. The current composition also puts the horizon line very near the center of the frame, which is a general no-no. Maybe you have a reason for the composition, though? I'm not 100% that cropping tighter would be better. But I think it's something that should be explored.
    My focus was on where to put that yellow block: farther away or closer to the bottom. That horizon line honestly was not something I had in mind. In a way it is just one of the lines in the photograph Incidentally, I think there is one Japanese photographer whose sky meets sea photos, most of them if not all, has the horizon line right in the center of the frame.

The person in the photo is in front of a wide, open space. It's part of the environment. Since I want to show that, I think more sky is appropriate. Having said that, a little bit of crop wouldn't hurt that much I think.

Thank you for the nice comments and the sticky, Photo John !

And the photo was taken with the 12-50 on the OMD-EM 5.

GB1

AE - Definitely has a powerful combination of color and saturation. Makes me feel like I'm there and that it's not just a photograph. Nice work, and congrats on the sticky!

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thank you G !

Thread Information