Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: destruction

destruction

these pictures have a lot of meaning to me due to the subject being photographed, and the story behind it.

i won't post that here, though, because i need some criticism on the images themselves. how should i have gone about photographing this destroyed strip mall more effectively? the biggest problem for me is overexposure. i had a difficult time, because it was raining all day, which made the parking lot, etc. very reflective. at the same time there were such dark spots in the building, that the wide range made it tough. i think the overexposure works in some places and not in others. these were shot in b&w and have no editing done (because i am ignorant in the ways of photoshop). i scanned them from prints on a crappy scanner. shot on a nikon n80 with a nikon 50mm f/1.8D lens. anyway, thoughts?

http://www.dmbforums.com

The first pic I think I would have wanted to see some more of what is there in the upper right corner of the frame. The second shot is nicely framed.
    The third one I think you should have stood back some more so we could get more an idea what were looking at. Hard to make it out and the tones and contrast too flat.
    The last one is the best /i feel. Framed and composed very well and has depth and contrast.
    Other than that, the images suffer only from a somewhat poor scan quality and am sure the originals look much better..
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    The first pic I think I would have wanted to see some more of what is there in the upper right corner of the frame. The second shot is nicely framed.
    The third one I think you should have stood back some more so we could get more an idea what were looking at. Hard to make it out and the tones and contrast too flat.
    The last one is the best /i feel. Framed and composed very well and has depth and contrast.
    Other than that, the images suffer only from a somewhat poor scan quality and am sure the originals look much better..
    thanks for the comments. i never thought about the 3rd one being vague since im familiar with the building, but you're right. i just thought the RIP was eerily appropriate.
    http://www.dmbforums.com

Thread Information