Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Or Death

Or Death

Re: Or Death

I will not comment on your HDR approach since you know my feelings about it but the composition is excellent...nice job.
    Maybe showing a bit more water wont hurt either.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

You've done a good job blending the scenes. I think the HDR is a bit too obvious here though, perhaps if the sky was a little brighter and the statue scene slightly darker, it would be more convincing. The contrast is also flat with the statue and the people, and very bright, I think the contrast could be wider and overall tones darker on your that.

Actually wait a minute, this is still the samsung ICM profile. In that case, I really can't comment since I don't know how much of the tones are your doing and how much is the colorspaces doing. Have you not had success yet with the sRGB/AdobeRGB profiles?

I am going to recast this in srgb. Can you do me a favor and tell me if it looks better. Unless I cast in in samsung it looks bad on my monitor, and I really need to know if putting it in srgb helps from your end.

Ok, this is converted to e-srgb. Does it look better? Darker? It looks like crap on my monitor, but I am mystified as to how to get the quality roughly right for other monitors.

The original colorspace should be sRGB or AdobeRGB straight from camera. The samsung profile is not for images to look good on your computer - its a profile used specifically for your monitor. If you work on your images using strictly the sRGB or Adobe profile, you can control it there, but the samsung profile isn't meant to be applied to images.

And that looks very hazy and still way too green and blue. Dont know what esrgb is, its generally displayed as the "working RGB"

Could you post the original file?

And yes! that looks like crap LOL! all greysh, fogy washed out.

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

This is the jpeg the original is based on.

Actually it is based on the raw this jpeg comes from

None of these are coming across as I processed them. They are way too light. Much more contrast in what I see when I finish them in pshop. Very depressing.

I love how the clouds came out in the first picture. I like the deep blacks at the bottom of the original as well. I think my perfect shot would've been clouds as the HDR photo and the bottom Island as the original or even a bit more starker.

daq, remember, in the best photos out there. there's always a solid black and a solid black points. If you look at the first photo you shared, you'll notice that there are no solid blacks, that's what makes it not as strong as it could've been.

but the composition is great and you had a great sky to work with.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thanks for the comments guys. I am going to stop posting photos until I figure out the whole profile thing. The problem is that I don't think any of these are coming over as I see them in photoshop. They are much darker than they probably appear to you, and I can't seem to fix it.

Thread Information