Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Daisies. . . and a Can

Taken on the same day and location as "The Pouring Can"
    What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Daisies. . . and a Can-0405-0718x1web.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Re: Daisies. . . and a Can

This probably doesn't make any sense, but at this time of the morning, I rarely make sense, so....
    I like this a lot, but I can't tell you why. I am just starting to experiment with using b&w and color together in photos, so I guess that is part of it. And somehow the beatup can next to daisies just seems so sad.

Gary,

I like this minus the way the can's positioned. Along with the flowers, it makes everything seem so vertical and linear. I think having the can on it's side, or facing so it has a great horizontal width would've helped this picture. Great touch with the daisies!

Nice shot,

Jared

Gary I love this picture. Compositionally it is great! (Is that a word? Anyway) I see a story which adds another element to the shot.
    The daisies are growing, reaching up for the sky bathing in the sunshine. Lo & behold so is a Sprite can.
    Both can & daisies spot one another. "What on "earth" is going on here?" they both are thinking. The daisies decide to pull as far away from the can as flowerly possible. The can does the same. Both wonder how'd I end up next to that thing? "Get away from me it's an Alien!" ;)
    ~Nina~

Hi Gary,

Though the technically aspects of this picture are good (focus, exposure,...), compositionally it doesn't do much for me. It looks a little to "quickie" posed. I would have chosen a spot where the sand didn't look so disturbed and/or without the picnic in the background. Perhaps backing up a little and not centering the subjects would help too. I'm sure this is just a personal thing.

In contrast, I really liked your pouring can. That image seemed to have a lot more care put into it during filming -- and it comes across in the final presentation -- again for me.

Best regards,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

steelerdirtfreak , Jared, Nina, Tim. . . Glad to know your thoughts and points on this. Nina, great story and imagination! steelerdirtfreak, the beat up can next to the daisies as a contrast was a piece of my intent,as well as the rough trod-upon sand but may be that the comp is not as strong as I thought or hoped. Jared, Tim. . I appreciate your thoughts on the comp. tim , not sure what you mean by picnic in the bg. There is sand, shoreline, and ocean. Great to get your feedback on this, thanks again

gary

Hi Gary,

I hope I wasn't too harsh on this one. Re-reading my words, I can see how it can read that way. If offended, please accept my apology -- not my intent. I certainly have a lot of respect for you and have learned a lot from your work and comments.

Best regards,
    Tim

p.s. By picnic, I was referring to those objects down the way that appear between the can and flowers.
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Tim,
    No apology needed. I feel that you took time to lay your thoughts out for me as to why you do not feel this works for you. I appreciate that. Thank you.

gary

learning member

Gary, I like the way you use the lense for perspective, and the lighting on the flower is good. The sharp focous on the fg is a nice touch, but it leads my eye out not into the pic. Maybe if you had backed off a bit? There is nothing in the bg that is appealing either. the can looks a bit dark and flat and is not jumping as usual. I'm not sure about having them parallel. The sharp sand ends abruptly.
    You've made it hard on youreself, if it were someone else's post I probably would have said wow & moved on.
    Mark.
    P.S
    Because of Nina's post I can see surprise and digust in both subjects.
    Mark.

I like this shot a lot, especially for its humor, its story, and also for its technical strengths. But at the same time, I don't like it, I think only because it does look too posed somehow. The first thing I think right away is, "daisies don't grow in the middle of sand like that!"

I think if you somehow made it more "believable" that the daisies would grow there ... I don't think you'd have to change much except maybe make the sand look less traveled on, or maybe position the daisies closer to a clump of grass, or don't have their stems SO crowded together, or make the ground underneath them look more solid, or just somehow make them look a tad more natural.

Or else, go the opposite direction, and make it look obviously staged, like it's an ad or a commercial. Put a little beach blanket under the daisies, make the daisies look like a beach umbrella, with the can lounging underneath. Or something like that.

So on a scale of one to ten, I give this a nine. Love it, but there's just something about it ...
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Mark, thanks for the time for that analysis. Some helpful points you've made.

Kelly . . . You have some good ideas and some interesting thoughts on this. I agree it looks staged, although i was not trying to make it seem natural. I wonder if it would not be such a factor if viewed in the context of the rest of the series. thanks for your time to lay out your feelings on it.

gary

Gary, I would love to see the whole series laid out — preferably in a gallery! — and I'm sure I would appreciate so much more in the context of the series.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thread Information