Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: D.C. 4th

Photonerd

D.C. 4th

Was able to get to D.C. for the 4th of July celebrations and got a couple good shots. Well, it was a bit hazy, so the lighting kind of sucked and again, I didn't have a tripod, so sorry for the teeny bit of fuzziness. They said there were about 400,000 people there. The first shot is of the Lincoln memorial and just a small bit of the huge crowds. The second is of Bobby Caldwell who sang with the U.S. Army jazz ensemble right before the fireworks show. The third is a poor photo of the fireworks. Any comments appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D.C. 4th-lincoln.jpeg   D.C. 4th-bobby2.jpeg   D.C. 4th-fireworks1.jpeg  
    Feel free to edit/re-post my photos as you like

Nikon Samurai #28

GB1

Re: D.C. 4th

I like the fireball. I wish there was more happening on the sides, but it looks like a chandelier to me and is sorta neat.

GB

PS - Try sharping up the middle shot, that might be doable.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Photonerd

thanks for the comments GB! Yep, that firework was a chandelier, it was pretty awesome. for the second photo, I tried using a sharpen filter, but that didn't do too much. it may just be due to the haze too, but i'm not sure.

Nikon Samurai #28

I think that the middle shot was not exactly focused on him, but rather the boards behind him, in front of the band.

The fireworks shot looks really nice, its crazy to think how gunpowder can explode into shapes...

How did you capture that? Did you use a set exposure time? I actually captured some shorts of fireworks as well, but I found that experimenting with Bulb exposure, as well as a low iso and high fstop really captured some nice photos.

Do you have any other firework shots?
    "Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door..."

I saw alot of those type fireworks this past week... they are beautiful and you did a wonderful job capturing their beauty!

the first shot of the memorial might be a tad of the horizontal... you might want to rotate it so that the horizon is straight.

great 4th pics.
    Feel free to edit and repost any of my images.

Photonerd

itilley: thanks for the comment! hmm, now that i look at it again, my shot of the memorial is a bit crooked lol. i'll have to fix that, thanks for pointing it out!

mooshubeef: i agree with you about the 2nd photo. i was kind of bummed about that, because none of my photos of the concert came out that well. i don't remember exactly the exif data I used to capture the fireworks shots, (i'd look it up but I'm at work right now lol), but I think i used a higher fstop and I set it on night flash. here are two others that I took. unfortunately, a branch got in the way of one of them. other than some cropping, nothing was else was done to these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D.C. 4th-firework2.jpeg   D.C. 4th-fireworks3.jpeg  

Nikon Samurai #28

Thread Information