Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

The Crossword Puzzle

I went to La Jolla this evening for some late afternoon photography and noticed this fellow, all alone standing on the sand stone cliffs, watching the waves and sunset, but working the crossword puzzle. This just seemed out of place to me; curious enough to take a photo.

CF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Crossword Puzzle-0368pr.jpg  
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Re: The Crossword Puzzle

I can't really tell that he's working on a puzzle, but it's still a good capture of an interesting reflection. The colors are rich, and the exposure is good. I'm wondering how this would have looked had you decided to focus on the rocks instead of the figure. I think I might have used a higher f-stop to get everything in focus, as all of the blurred rock area is a bit distracting...to me.

Charles,

Thanks for the pointers. The idea of a higher fstop is a great idea. I like this type of photo and will keep that in mind for future shots.

Thanks for leaving the comment.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

I actually like the out of focus rocks, it makes the man the subject of the picture. But photography is subjective, perhaps the rocks in the very middle could be more in focus as they cut him in half but I think that may distract from him drawing attention to that, not quite sure without seeing it.

Shespawn,

Thanks very much for leaving the comments. While you are correct, the man is the subject, I wish I had taken the time to snap a few exposiers with a different fstop just to see how it may have made a difference. I will never know, now. Regardless, I appreciate your input.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

Thread Information