Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

"Cross-processed" Flower

I've been reading more and more on different darkroom techniques, particularly with film processing. Past couple days I've been reading a bit about cross-processing. I don't exactly have the ability to do the "real" thing right now, so thought I would give it a shot in PS. I know the subject is nothing special. Critique wise, I'm interested more how well you think I've been able to capture the cross processed feel? Any thoughts?

Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Re: "Cross-processed" Flower

The colours are nice, and you can tell there's been some preocessing (note the greenish hue to the yellow), however it is too subtle to tell partly due to the simple subject (something more colourful would have been helpful). If you could include the original that would be nice for comparison's sake. By the way, when you try it on film (the real deal) which film/solution combo do you plan on using? More importantly, what combo do you want your digital image to mimic?
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Thanks for your input fx As for your question, I really don't know I don't know that much about the differences. It started because at this point I just want to learn new things and try experimenting with film but, cheaply. Expired film is super cheap so I was looking at different possibilities for expired stuff. That's when I stumbled across cross processing. The attempt on this shot was an after thought. This shot was just a tad blown out already and I just started playing.

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Thanks for your input fx As for your question, I really don't know I don't know that much about the differences. It started because at this point I just want to learn new things and try experimenting with film but, cheaply. Expired film is super cheap so I was looking at different possibilities for expired stuff. That's when I stumbled across cross processing. The attempt on this shot was an after thought. This shot was just a tad blown out already and I just started playing.

Aaron
    I think you will notice that applying this technique to say a village scene or something with a lot of colour detail (maybe not Las Vegas) will yield the most interesting results as you will see greens take on a more intense tone, contrast increase, and blues turn a bit violet. I will admit I have no clue how to do this correctly in CS3, but I can theorize that you can get pretty close with some channel mixing. How did you go about achieving your cross-process in Photoshop (if you are willing to share)?
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

I stumbled across a tutorial on it while surfing online. Actually, I found several different ones, all using different methods but, this one was the easiest. It's pretty much done all in curves, with an additional of a solid layer at your discretion. Here's the link if you want to check it out. Now that I think about it, I think I have the perfect candidate for this that I'll have to try out when I get home
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

I see where you are trying to go but it seems half way between a normal picture and something more torwards an artistic picture. If that makes since. If you are leaning torward the artistic side you need to work on it some more. It needs more detail.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Oops, sorry Greg. Didn't notice your reply last night What you say makes perfect sense. Given a green and yellow subject it's not as dramatic of an effect. I have a night shot in mind for this next time around. Hoping that will help drive home the effect a little more. I like the effect though so you may be seeing a few more attempts run through the critique forum in the near future ;)
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Wasn't sure if it was worth starting a new thread for this one but, played around a bit with this effect some more. Getting any better?

Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Thread Information