Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Crepes

Crepes

Here is a picture I took of a plate of crepes that I took for a friend of mine who is opening a restaurant. Unfortunately, this was the only good picture that I took that day. My cousin took quite a few pictures, too, and my buddy ended up using this one along with three or four pictures from my cousin.

Food is not the easiest thing to photograph and I realized this going into this. I was shooting my D70 in manual mode as the old 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor does not meter on the D70. The lamp used is a simple fourescent bulb in a cheapo reflector clamped to one of the poster boards used as the backdrop on the left side. We used three pieces of black posterboard as back drop, taped together to form the corner of a box that we were shooting into. This was shot handheld, BTW, at 1/50 sec at about f/5.6 or f/8. No, I did not eat this one as I ate the crepes that I shot just before this one and I didn't need the calories. This photograph was blown up to 24X36 for use in the restaurant. This picture is straight from the camera, resized to be posted here. The thing is that I was using the D70 to try to get an idea of what the pictures were going to look like that I was taking with a tripod mounted F4s but those pictures did not come out right and they decided not to use any of those. Personally, I believe that the automatic processing machine overcorrected the color and that was the complaint but that's besides the point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crepes-dsc_4648a.jpg  

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Crepes

Composition is ok but white balance appears wrong to me.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Im hungry and that didnt help. Why the hell did I click something that said crepes? Damn lack of food...

...anyways white balance does look a bit off. You shoot it in raw?

MB1

I too think the image is too yellow (and I want to tilt it a bit to the left) but the bottom line is that the client was happy.
    No, I DON'T need that.

I like the shot. I could see it on a menu at an IHOP.

Yummy...I like the shot, a bit too yellow on the crepe but the plate looks right but yummy...now wheres my choclate.

Thanks for the critique, folks. Apparently, they dialed out some of the yellow when they printed it as it did not appear that bad in the finished print.

Here is the same exact picture but with the yellow dialed back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crepes-dsc_4648bc.jpg  

Thread Information